Saturday, July 2, 2016

Saturday in the Garden | G and Ts and K-Dramas

OUTSIDE

An inspection of the garden this morning found things to be so-so.  A handful of green beans are getting close to harvesting which is exciting!  I think I will plant a few more bean seeds where the garlic and the lettuce were and see if I can't get a few more plants going for later in the summer.


The tomatoes are looking a little disappointing.  All the plants are small (I transplanted outside late) and only one has fledgling tomatoes.  The plants in pots are seeming particularly pathetic this year.  I think a jolt of fertilizer may be in order?  I don't know.  Fertilizer confuses me.  

 

This is why I let cat mint stay and bloom in my garden.  The bumbles get food which makes them happy and that makes me happy and it's just a regular old nature love fest in the garden.  


A first for me this week!  Along with the 3.5 lbs of blueberries I picked last week at a nearby berry farm I also bought some tart pie cherries and made cherry pie filling, which I will freeze and make into tarts or something - Yum!



GAK

Drink of the Week:

I wish I could write poetry about G&Ts I love them so.  


WATCHING, READING and BLOGGING

Watching 

I was bitching last week about how I kept stalling out on so many shows and that I had finally settled on Miss Fisher's Mysteries.  Well. I stalled out on that too!  Dang it all!  The second half of season two for that series was just a little hum drum and I heard that season three is even worse. Arghhhh... I need to stop reading reviews.

Anyhoo, thanks to Just Us Blog's awesome Top Ten Tuesday post which listed K Dramas (and boy bands), I got all jazzed up to check out some more K Dramas.  K Dramas for the uninitiated is short for Korean Dramas and the one I've watched (my rave about Coffee Prince) was totally addictive. I hadn't jumped into any more because I have the bad habit of multi-tasking while watching TV and that's not possible when watching something with subtitles.  I decided to commit however and have been watching Oh My Ghostess which is at its heart very similar to Coffee Prince though not quite as good.  At least not yet - I'm only halfway through.  I've been watching it on Viki.com which is a treasure trove of K Dramas and other Asian television and movies.  As far as I can tell, the subtitles on the site are done by volunteers or freelancers that sign up which is pretty awesome but the subtitles have been frequently problematic for this one.  They often don't make sense and I'm not sure if it's a wrong translation or a literal translation of a saying that is slang or just a flat out cultural difference that I don't get.  For example this was a recent line said by male protagonist to female protagonist: "You're like a little chesnut...looking like a puppy."  Ha, Ha!  What?  I gather that he is telling her she's adorable but that makes NO sense.


Reading

Finished Last Week:

  • Just One Damned Thing After Another  (The Chronicles of St. Mary's #1) by Jodi Taylor: British time travel series.  I wasn't too thrilled with this one.
  • Ink and Bone (The Great Library #1) by Rachel Caine:  This is an alt history/steampunkish story in a world where a somewhat insidious library rules the world with violent automatons.
  • City of Glass (The Mortal Instruments #3) by Cassandra Clare:  Shadowhunters vs. "down worlders".  I'm (very) slowly making my way through this YA series. And actually I'm done though there are inexplicably three more books in the series.

Currently Reading:

  • One Magic Square by Lolo Houbein: A gardening book about maximizing food production in a small space.  An ARC from Netgalley (though I think it's an older title).  
  • A Study in Charlotte (Charlotte Holmes #1)by Brittany Cavallaro: A YA novel that takes place at a modern day boarding school focused on a team up between the female descendant of Sherlock Holmes and the male dscendant of John Watson.  

Added to the TBR:

This is a list of books that I have added to my Goodreads TBR list this week.  It helps to burn the books I want to read a little more firmly into my mind, maybe get them on some other folks TBRs and gives me a chance to recognize a lot of the awesome bloggers that add stuff to my TBR!


  • The Cutting Season by Attica Locke:  This is sort of a mystery I think that centers on a  woman who is the manager in the modern day at a plantation where her ancestors were slaves.  I think I heard about this one on the podcast Get Booked (Book Riot).
  • Huntress by Melinda Lo:  This is the prequel to Ash which I haven't read but I guess it sounds like I don't have to have to be able to pick this one up.  A dying earth and two girls have to save it all.  Not sure where I ran across this one...


Blogging 

On the BLOG LAST WEEK:

TUESDAY:  Top Ten Tuesday | Some Favorite Genre Mash-ups



May you have a safe and relaxing weekend whether it involves fireworks, gin and tonics or the same old, same old (or all three)!

No comments:

Post a Comment