Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Top Ten...errr...Wednesday | My random book trivia

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme for bloggers who like books and lists. It's awesome and is graciously hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

These week's topic is all about getting to know people which is cool:
Ten Facts About Me (bookish or just general about you facts or ten facts about you as a blogger...whatever you want) 
My first fact is this. 
1) You may notice that it is not Tuesday.  Unfortunately, my internet service went kaput for the whole of Monday evening.  The scene at my house during this crisis was NOT pretty.  I have realized that to destroy the human race through apocalyptic mayhem, evil doers don't need to do anything so extreme as cutting the supply of electricity, they need only take away the internet.  It's scary how dependent we've (well at least I've) become on a technology that has only been around for half my life. 

Okay now for the bookish facts.
2) I have super love for fiction written by women in the 1950s and 60s: This is a recent revelation and is likely not universal but there is a certain type of writer that I just don't think I can get enough of.  Dorothy Gilman, Mary Stewart, Barbara Pym are so rad. Expand that time frame a little and throw in Georgette Heyer, Agatha Christie, Dorothy L. Sayers as well.  This propensity is a little weird because I am much more drawn to pre-1900 history and almost downright despise the 1950s and 60s.  But I apparently really like a certain kind of fiction written in that era.  By women.  *shrugs*

3) I Hate Time Travel Books (Not really but kinda): I can't seem to find a time travel book I like - HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE?? IT'S TIME TRAVEL.  Books I've recently tried and either DNFed or at best was meh about? Doomsday by Connie Willis, In the Garden of Iden by Kage Baker, Just one Damned Thing After Another by Jodi Taylor.  I did like the Doctor Who media tie-in books that I read.  And I'm currently watching and am completely delighted by a K Drama involving a person from 300 years in Korea's past traveling to modern Korea.  So why do so many time travel books disappoint?  Do you have any suggestions?

4) Audiobooks have profoundly changed my life:  Seriously.  My house is cleaner (chores are much more fun while reading a book), I look forward to long drives on my own, I read twice as many books as I used to.  I love them.  They are my best friend

5) I prefer my books and my men the same way: with a sense of humor :0).

6) Books make me want to do/be weird things:  Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey and Maturin series makes me wish I were a sailor on a big ole sailing Man-O-War despite the fact that a) they don't exist anymore, b) I'm a lady, c) they were incredibly dangerous and frequently miserable and d) I suffer terribly from motion sickness.  Ellis Peters' Cadfael series makes me wish I were a monk in a medieval monastery despite the fact that a) again, I'm a lady, b) I'm not Catholic or even religious, and c) the middle-ages kinda sucked.  Every Western I've ever read has made me wish I lived on the American frontier in the late 1800s despite the fact that a) terrible, terrible violent things happened to so many people, b) we were actively engaged in a criminal and heartbreaking genocide at the time, c) most females on the frontier were either prostitutes or engaged in back-breaking work on a small farm while living in a hole dug in the side of a hill and d) I'm terrified of firearms.

7) Some of the weirdest words that will make me pick up a book:  time travel (even though #3!), cross-dressing (girl dressed as boy etc...), murder, pirates, lady detective, Greek Gods, dragons, serial killer, series.

8) I never want to interact with authors: I'm embarrassingly stick-my-head-in-the-sand about this.  And I have no idea what I would say to them anyway. "I like your book." seems a little lame and not really conducive to further conversation.

9) I am way more critical of Female vs. Male characters:  An argument could certainly be made that this is some kind of internalized sexism and I can't deny that there may be some of that but I like to think part of it is just that women are super awesome and I hold them to a higher base standard than a man can ever hope to achieve.

10) I love professional "fan-fiction":  I will particularly read anything inspired by or based on or re-imagined from Sherlock Holmes and Jane Austen.  I actually just finished reading a a book about a modern day female descendant of Holmes paired with a modern-day male descendant of Watson in a U.S. boarding school (A Study in Charlotte by Brittany Cavallaro - It was Fab) and I am currently reading Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Jane Austen and Seth Graham Smith (which is cute but I think this Mr. Smith made a butt-ton of money for roughly 2 hours work tops).

**************

That's all the facts I can handle for one day.  Hoe about you?  Got any random bookish trivia about yourself you want to share?

No comments:

Post a Comment