Tough Traveling is a fun meme that aims to tour all the tropes big and small, abhorred and loved that are littered across the fantasy landscape. It was conceived of and is hosted by Nathan at Fantasy Review Barn and here's how it's explained on the blog:
Each Thursday, our copy of ‘The Tough Guide to Fantasyland’ in hand, we shall tour the mystical countryside looking for adventure and fun (and tropes) from all over fantasy.
This week's trope is Flying
All week I've been thinking the topic was "Flying Mounts" which implies living creature and I've been wracking my brain to come up with flying critters you can ride that I haven't already gushed about. Flying Rides though? That's totally different right? Inanimate objects become fair game! At least that's my read on things and I'm going with it.Because honestly? Horses just got boring. (Thanks to author Anne Leonard for the suggestion).
- The Flying Machines from The Abhorsen Series by Garth Nix
|Thar' She Blows!|
- The Glass Elevator from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl
- Howl's Moving Castle from ...well... Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones
- Airships from Every Steampunk Fantasy Ever Written
|Riding a flying broom probably feels a little like this.|
- Nimbus 2000 and the Firebolt in Harry Potter Series by J.K. Rowling
Well I think that's all the thrilling rides I can think of for the moment. How about you? Ever dreamt of flying through the air on a XXXX? For more lists of flying rides check out the lists of the other tough travelers at Fantasy Review Barn.