Monday, July 25, 2016

TOP TEN TUESDAY | Crazy Things I Want To Do Because Books Told Me To

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme for bloggers who like books and lists. It's awesome and is graciously hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

This week's Top Ten Tuesday prompt is thus:
Top Ten Things Books Have Made Me Want To Do or Learn About After Reading Them
Hoo boy, do I have a LOT of things that could be on this list.  Books make me want to do the craziest things.  Things that I know would actually be miserable in reality or that I would be horrible at or that actually don't exist.   I touched on a couple of these two weeks ago, mentioning my desire to sail on a Napoleonic war ship and join a medieval era monastery.  Here I will name all the other crazy things books make me want to do:

***********
1) Live In A Charming British Village With An Exceptionally High Murder Rate

This one is totally Agatha Christie's fault.  

2) Live in a Heavily Fortified Fort/Compound in a Dystopic Universe

I think it's something about the sense of community you get when you're all huddled together fighting for your lives.  Most recently, I just finished The Passage by Justin Cronin.  

3) Slay Demon Spawn from Hell (or ...you know...any kind of evil monster)

SO. MANY. BOOKS.  Currently I'm reading Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Seth Grahame-Smith and Jane Austen and then there's the Kate Daniels Series by Ilona Andrews, 


4) Solve Crime

Somewhat more reasonable than #3 but just as unlikely in reality.  Inspired by every mystery ever.  I actually really enjoy some true crime non-fiction as well.  

5) See Ghosts

I mean I know that this would probably be super creepy?  Probably?  But it might also be pretty interesting and could help solve crimes?  Some favorite books that have inspired this?  Shades of London Series by Maureen Johnson and the Peter Grant Series by Ben Aaronovitch.

David Eddings, The Belgariad
6) Go on a Quest with a Band of Friends

This is one of those things that is probably, in reality, terrifying in the extreme and uncomfortable at best but every epic fantasy ever has convinced me it would be the most fun to be had in life.

7) Be a governess

So, I don't exactly hate children but the idea of being a teacher/being around kids all the time, amkes me want to run off a cliff, so the fact that there are books that have made governess seem like the easiest and most rewarding and fun job to me is very impressive.  Most recently the Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place series by Maryrose Wood that has inspired these feelings.

8) Be an international spy

Again, I am a HUGE chicken and I don't think well on my feet so spy is pretty much the last job I should ever apply for.  But Dorothy Gilman's Mrs. Pollifax Series has kind of made me feel otherwise.

9) Be a musical genius

I've always wanted to be able to play an instrument.  The thing is I don't like doing it - I played both the flute and the piano in my younger days and never wanted to practice either.  Musicians in books always seem so cool and have this thing that zens them out.

10) Move to a Northerly Situated Island with a Harsh Environment 

I feel like I would have this strong sense of community and feel so connected to nature.  No way would I be depressed by the constant rain, cold and wind, the lack of jobs or my inability to enjoy gardening.  Lately, The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater made me have this wish.

************

So what crazy things have books made YOU want to do lately?  

No comments:

Post a Comment