Monday, June 27, 2016

TOP TEN TUESDAY | Genre Mash-ups I Have Loved

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme for bloggers who like books and lists. It's awesome and is graciously hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

It's a freebie week in TTT land  - any topic of our choosing is acceptable. It's total anarchy and it is awesome.  I actually had two other much cooler ideas in mind (Books I think my favorite TV characters would read/love or Authors who love authors who I love - confusing but awesome, trust me) but they both required a lot more work and time then I had so I decided to highlight one of my most favoritest literary things.  Genre Mash-ups; when an author throws genre barriers and distinctions out the window and just smooshes it all together. It's total anarchy just like freebie week in TTT land so an appropriate topic for this week.  Here goes....

************

1) The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon

What does it mash?: Historical Fiction, Mystery, Romance and even a smidge of the supernatural.

2) 11/22/63 by Stephen King

What does it mash?: Science Fiction, Historical Fiction, Horror  

Okay so it's a time travel book which by its very nature is almost always a mash-up but this does a particularly deep dive into specific historical events.

3) The Peter Grant Series by Ben Aaronovitch

What does it mash?: Police Procedural Mystery, Urban Fantasy.  

It struck me that a LOT of urban fantasy focuses on detectives of one kind or another.  Or at least the UF I like does.  This series is particularly strong as a police procedural which happens to have some magical elements.

4) The Veneficas Americana series by M.K. Hobson

What does it mash?: Historical Fiction-Western, Fantasy, Romance

5)  Girl Waits With Gun by Amy Stewart

What does it mash?: Crime, Historical Fiction

6) The Brother Cadfael Series by Ellis Peters

What does it mash?: Historical Fiction, Mystery

Historical mysteries are my favorite but sometimes the "history" really just appears as the most superficial of settinga.  Some however, like the Cadfael series reflect or use historical events as more than just backdrop and are more immersive in the time.

7) Jasper Fforde's Novels - Notably the Thursday Next Series and Shades of Grey

What does it mash?:  Mystery, Fantasy

8) The Yiddish Policemen's Union by Michael Chabon

What does it mash?: Mystery, Science Fiction (Or fantasy - I get confused where alt-histories go)

9) The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller

What does it mash? Historical Fiction, Romance

10) The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer

What does it mash?: Science Fiction, Fantasy - Fairy Tales, Romance

*********

Do you have a favorite book that you think could classify as a genre mash-up?  I'd love to hear about it!

** I apologize for no pictures or links this week.  I was squeezed for time!  I will work on adding links later.

No comments:

Post a Comment