Saturday, June 25, 2016

Saturday in the Garden | Monarchs Love Gatorade

OUTSIDE

It's been a really smashing week in the out of doors and specifically the garden.  The garlic started dropping hints that it was ready for harvest and thence was harvested.   The green beans have flowers which means soon there will be beans! I went to a conference this week focused on pollinators and worked a booth for part of the time with a passel of Monarch Butterflies who were absolutely adorable drinking gatorade out of a feeder.  Finally this morning I went and picked 3.5 pounds of blueberries!  I used to hate blueberries - temporary insanity is the only possible explanation.







WATCHING, READING and BLOGGING

Watching 

I am stalled on SO MANY shows y'all.  I'm like an angsty mayfly - no attention span.

  • Longmire: I re-watched the first three seasons, which I have done many times but then couldn't make myself re-watch season 4 because it is so unkind to any fan of the character of Vic and/or Vic and Walt as an item.  I decided I'd put off re-watching it until just before season 5 is released this September.
  • Hell on Wheels:  As I went on about in this post, a very disappointing thing happens at the end of season 2 and I haven't been able to move past it to watch the remaining 3 seasons. 
  • Doctor Quinn, Medicine Woman:  The second season is positively dripping with every cliched circumstance possible to create conflict between Dr. Quinn and her wild man paramour Sully and I just couldn't take it any more.
  • The 100:  I started re-watching this awesome show but I've heard really disastrous things about season 3 and it kind of deflated my interest in re-tackling season 2.  
I have finally settled on Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries which I had started watching a couple years ago and couldn't get into.  Now?  I'm loving it.  Fickleness, lack of attention span, and getting too attached to fictional characters - it's a curse.


Reading

Finished Last Week:

  • Murder on Waverly Place (Gaslight Mystery #11) by Victoria Thompson: Historical mystery set in turn of the 20th century New York.  This series has really lost its verve in this and the previous installment which is sad.  I'm determined to stick it out at least until Sarah and Malloy get their act together.
  • The Pawn of Prophecy (The Belgariad #1) by David Eddings:  This was one of my favorite epic fantasy series in my childhood days and I've been wanting to re-read.  It is seriously troperiffic but I'm loving it just the same.  

Currently Reading:

  • One Magic Square by Lolo Houbein: A gardening book about maximizing food production in a small space.  An ARC from Netgalley (though I think it's an older title).   
  • Just One Damned Thing After Another  (The Chronicles of St. Mary's #1) by Jodi Taylor: British time travel series.  
  • Ink and Bone (The Great Library #1) by Rachel Caine:  This is an alt history/steampunkish story in a world where a somewhat insidious library rules the world with violent automatons.
  • City of Glass (The Mortal Instruments #3) by Cassandra Clare:  Shadowhunters vs. "down worlders".  I'm (very) slowly making my way through this YA series. 

Added to the TBR:

This is a list of books that I have added to my Goodreads TBR list this week.  It helps to burn the books I want to read a little more firmly into my mind, maybe get them on some other folks TBRs and gives me a chance to recognize a lot of the awesome bloggers that add stuff to my TBR!

  • Meg (MEG #1) by Steve Alten:  I couldn't resist adding this action/adventure involving rampaging aquatic dinosaurs after Mogsy from The Bibliosanctum kind of gushed and what ridiculous fun a later book in the series was.  
  • Silence for the Dead by Simone St. James:  I really enjoyed James' The Haunting of Maddy Clare and am definitely up for checking out some other books by her.  Creepy historical fiction (at least that's what The Haunting... was).
  • The Lotus Place (The Pingkang Li Mysteries #1) by Jeannie Lin:  I just kind of stumbled over this author/title and was intrigued.  Historical romance set in imperial China with a dash of mystery thrown in.  

Blogging 


On the BLOG LAST WEEK:

TUESDAY:  Favorite Literary Characters | 2014 Edition


Have a Great Weekend Full of Overly Friendly Golden Retrievers! 

No comments:

Post a Comment