Wednesday, January 4, 2017

So. 2017. Let's do this | Resolutions for the Year to Come.

From Calvin and Hobbes by Bill Watterson
I've found it useful since the inception of blogging to have a resolutions post that is perhaps less of a DO THESE THINGS OR DIE list and more a list of encouragements to keep in mind in the coming year.  Most of them are book related as reflects my blog but it's a bit of a mixed bag.  There'll be as many as present themselves and I reserve the right to add as the year goes on.

So. This is my hopeful, ephemeral list of things I'm going to keep in mind this year list.

Read 120 Books

I have methodically been upping my total books read number each year because frankly the more books I can consume in my life the better (which is funny considering one of my other resolutions - READING BOOKS IS THE EXCEPTION).  Last year my goal was 115 and I got to 117 though at times it looked bleak. Hallelujah for audio books and graphic novels!

Read More Non-fiction

This was on my list last year and was a (meager) success.  Last year I read 6 non-fiction books - let's go wild and see if I can sneak in ... 8 this year. YEAH!

Continue to Tackle Book Series

I liked my series post last year where I named the series I wanted to make some progress in.  It didn't work for all of them but it did focus me a bit and it worked for many so I'll create another post like that for Friday of this week and be off to the races.  Yum....series....mmmmm.....

Read more internationally

Not to get all self righteous and preachy but it seems the way the world is heading these days, reading more globally and learning about and learning to love the diverse panoply of humanity is more I want to read voices that are significantly different than my own. I read very few books outside of the U.K. and U.S. in 2016 and all together I read books from 7 countries.  I'm shooting for 10 countries this and for the outside of the U.S. and U.K. portion of the pie to make up 25%. I will of course also work to read more under-represented voices from the U.S. and U.K.

Read the Books I Own - Buy Fewer Books

I have been snatching up ebooks and audio books (and heck even a few paperbacks) like a voracious monster who think books are bacon.  It's gotta stop. At least for a little while.  I have all kinds of fantastic books that I am dying to read on my bookshelves both physical and virtual.  NOW I JUST NEED TO READ THEM!

More Reviews

This is a blogging resolution.  I have really struggles in the past year or more with writing reviews.  I haven't tallied it but I'm betting that I reviewed no more than half the books I read this year.  Not sure what that's about but I'm gonna put some brain cells to work on it.  It's getting serious now, boy!

Consume Less, Waste Less

My last two resolutions are both personal and both are  ripped off from a friend and the same friend no less. She's pretty awesome!  Anyway, the concept of a simple Consume Less mantra really grabbed me and it has a duel (heck maybe even infinite if I thought about it) meaning for me.  One is stop spending money impulsively, LIKE ON BOOKS, but on other things too and even food.  This should have the benefit of wasting less ...things I don't need or aren't exactly what I was hoping or that I can't eat while they are fresh.  It also means to consume less food.  I weigh the most I've ever weighed in my life. While I in no way want to feel ashamed of my body or encourage others to feel ashamed of theirs, it is starting to cause some health problems. Also, I don't like the idea that I consume more than my body needs when there are people in the world that don't have enough and when our food systems in the U.S. are so harmful to the environment.  THIS DOES NOT APPLY TO READING BOOKS!

Grateful Journal

My friend also introduced me to a practice of her's that I'd like to emulate.  She keeps a journal where each night before bed she writes down a list of five things she's grateful for or that made her smile or at least didn't completely suck from that day.  I tried doing a 365 grateful project last year and it was great but a picture a day just got to be too hard.  But I think I can do this.  She even gave me a blank journal that is re-purposed out of an old book and even has a butter on the cover. 💕 How could I not but honor this gift by keeping up this daily practice.

I think that's a good list that makes me happy.  How about your?  Are you a fan of resolutions at the New Year?  

No comments:

Post a Comment