Saturday, October 15, 2016

Saturday in the Garden | Morag Cockroachgutter

OUTSIDE

So the garden season is quickly coming to a close.  We've had our first really cold night here in Iowa, which probably signaled the end for the tomatoes and peppers.  I got a recipe from a work colleague for green tomato relish and I've picked all my remaining tomatoes and peppers to go into it.  I also have a last harvest of lima beans to blanch and freeze.  All in all, I probably got a small ziploc bag of limas and I feel pretty successful with that:)!

For a party tomorrow I am also going to make my first ever cherry pie with the pie filling I made from cherries I picked this spring. I hope it turns out good because cherry pie is the best!

So....Yep...October is all about eating the harvest.  Yum.

In things I can't eat, I just impulse bought a bunch of bulbs and am fantasizing about a sea of crocuses and Narcissus in the spring.  In reality, I'll be lucky if a couple come up:).  Shade and Dogs are a hard combo to overcome when you're a bulb.


WATCHING, READING and BLOGGING

Watching 

I just started a re-watch of Arrow to lead into watching season 4 which just popped up on Netflix.  Do I need a re-watch? Nope! Am I going to do one anyway? Yep!

Finished Since the Last Time I Posted

  • As Chimney Sweepers Come to Dust (Flavia DeLuce #7) by Alan Bradley: I was really feeling like this series needed a shake up because Flavia felt kind of stuck so I enjoyed this book where she is attending boarding school in Canada.
  • The Palace Job (Rogues of the Republic #1) by Patrick Weekes : A fantasy novel with a heist!  This started a little slow for me but halfway through it picked up speed and I really enjoyed it.  By the way if you own a Kindle, this series is available in the Kindle Owners Lending Library.  

Currently Reading:

  • Damsel Under Stress (Enchanted, Inc. #3) by Shanna Swendsen:  Continuing this fluffy charming series. 
  • Guardians of the West (The Mallorean #1) by David Eddings:  I enjoyed my re-read of The Belgariad so thought I would continue on.  Sadly I'm a bit bored by this book...
  • Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury:  I'd like to try and read all of Ray Bradbury's books - I love his writing.  I thought this would make a nice Autumn/Halloween read.

Added to the TBR:

This is a list of books that I have added to my Goodreads TBR list this week recently.  It helps to burn the books I want to read a little more firmly into my mind, maybe get them on some other folks TBRs and gives me a chance to recognize a lot of the awesome bloggers that add stuff to my TBR!

  • Bloodbound (Bloodbound #1) by Erin Lindsey:  Lady bodyguards in a fantasy world setting makes this trilogy sounds pretty intriguing. A review of the final book in the series by Danya at Fine Print convinced me to add it to the list.
  • Unholy Ghosts (Downside Ghosts #1):  An Urban Fantasy rec from Birdie Bookworm who also professes love for the Kate Daniels series.  So I automatically trust her:).  
  • Sherlock Holmes in America by Martin H. Greenberg: Soooo...I signed up with BookBub this week.  Yeah.  This is going to be a test of my resolve not to overrun my kindle with books.  Anyway, this is an anthology of short story Sherlock Holmes Fanfic which has been scientifically demonstrated that I can't resist.  
  • Death Comes to the Village (Kurland St. Mary Mystery #1) by Catherine Lloyd:  Yep. BookBub.  So I didn't by this one.  It was the second book in the series that was one sale which is a little odd but *shrugs*. Looks like a cozy mystery right up my alley.
  • Behind the Beautiful Forevers by Katherine Boo:  A non-fiction book about the lives of people in a particular neighborhood of Mumbai.  I've been wanting to read this forever.  
  • Firefly Hollow by T.L. Haddix:  This looked like a fun little paranormal romance and it had pretty decent ratings.  And Bookbub told me it was free.  Why the Eff not?
  • Teeth Long and Sharp by Multiple Authors (Grace Dravan):  Another anthology, this time with fantastical and scary stories. This was recommended on Reading Reality.
Blogging 

On the BLOG LAST WEEK:

TUESDAY:  Top Ten Tuesday | Great Recommendations  The best book recommendations and those that recommend them!
THURSDAY: TV REVIEW | Galavant

A freshly bathed Jasper. A good way to head into the next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment