Monday, May 4, 2015

Top Ten Tuesday - Books I Shall Never (probably) Read

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme for bloggers who like books and lists.  It's awesome and is graciously hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

This week's topic has really stretched the old (emphasis on old) noggin because it's not one you make by reviewing your library and considering what fits.  It's not even a list you can make by perusing the catalogs of future releases or just idly surfing the web to spark the synapses into firing.  I actually just had to think real hard.  Sheesh.  I think I need a nap now:0).


1) Fifty Shades of Grey by E.L.  James

Not because of the naughty bits.  I read plenty of books with naughty bits.  It just sounds like a terrible book and I'm not a huge fan of contemporary romance.

2) War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy

This is really a stand in for a good chunk of Russian literature.  From what I have read, it's just not my cup of tea.

3) The Godfather by Mario Puzo

I think I may have been taken out by the Italian mafia in a former life because I really don't enjoy stories of any kind that revolve around the mob.

4) The final three books in the Twilight Series by Stephenie Meyer

I read Twilight and I have to say I actually really enjoyed the reading experience.  It brought back all the daydreams I had as a teenager and then some.  If I had read it as a teen I would have been a major fan.  But I didn't and while I enjoyed it while reading, I had no desire to move on with the series once the book was set down.  Plus I could tell by the end of book one that Bella was going to get SUPER annoying.

5) Outlander by Diana Gabaldon

Have I shocked everyone yet?  This is actually a bit of a cheat as I have actually read about halfway into this book TWICE.  This book should be my ideal dream of a book but unfortunately Claire annoys the bejesus out of me and I just can't get past it.  I've given it two tries and no dice.

6) Moby Dick by Herman Melville

I'm sorry to say, reading Billy Budd in high school completely did in any chance that I'd be reading any more of Herman's stories.  Plus, whale hunting is not something of which I'm a fan.

I think I can stop there.  Sure there are some other books/authors that I don't have much of an inclination to read (Jonathan Franzen, Ayn Rand) but these are the only ones I could come up with that were specific, popular and for which I had a clear reason behind my lack of interest.  Really, even with my preferences, I'm pretty open to trying most anything.  

So how about you?  Which books are on your NBR (Never Be Read) list?

No comments:

Post a Comment