Saturday, June 24, 2017

SATURDAY in the GARDEN | Summer, Summer, Summer Time!

OUTSIDE

I continue to be really pleased with the garden this year, knock on every piece of wood and wood-like substance available.  None of the tomatoes look sickly.  Despite being planted late, my sugar snaps are being pretty productive. The peppers are growing.  The Broccolini's been a success.  I don't know if it's something I'm doing (probably not) or if the weather has been just right (probably so).




And along with the summer solstice we've also been gifted with an absolutely gorgeous weekend.  It is 70 degrees, sunny and breezy.  Last night we all hung out on the porch for a couple hours and everybody was super happy.

I know this looks like a dead rabbit but when rabbits are really content they "flop", i.e. fall suddenly over on their sides and just revel like that for a bit:). It's super cute and this was the first time Ella's done it in the hutch and she did it several times.

GAK

WOOT WOOT!  I'm on vacation for the next week+ and am planning on using it mostly to putter around and get things done around the house, read a bunch, write a bunch of blog posts, maybe take a couple of day trips if I feel like it.  I've even completed one of my projects on day 1 - painted the rabbit hutch!

So what kinds of things would you do if you had a whole week at home with no other responsibilities?


WATCHING, READING and BLOGGING

Watching 

I've continued to watch the BBC mystery show Father Brown featuring Mark Williams (aka Arthur Weasley) as the titular character.  It's fun and suits my zone out, brain dead requirements at the moment:)!

Reading 

Finished Since the Last Time I Posted:

  • Pawn in Frankincense (Lymond Chronicles #4) by Dorothy Dunnett:  THESE BOOKS! OMG, THESE BOOKS!
  • The Ringed Castle (Lymond Chronicles #5) by Dorothy Dunnett: See Above. This is absolutely the best historical fiction ever written.  Lymond is an annoying little pissant in this book and still one of the most incredible characters ever created.  
“He was not a figment of daydream or of fantasy. He was the quick-witted man who had raced with her; the man whose strong wrists had pulled her from trouble; whose laughter recognized, more than his own, her buffoonery; whose voice had whispered, sung, exclaimed or cursed, with equal felicity, carefree as birdsong on top of their striving.
Whose essence, stripped by necessity was, it now seemed, warm and joyous and of great generosity.”  - Checkmate, Dorothy Dunnett 
    CURRENTLY READING
    • Checkmate (Lymond Chronicles #6) by Dorothy Dunnett:  The last one *sobs*!
    • Strong Poison  (Lord Peter Wimsey #6) by Dorothy L. Sayers: Only a few more of these left :( but I hear Lord Peter gets a girlfriend in this one - Ooooohhhhh!
    • The Screaming Staircase (Lockwood & Co. #1) by Jonathan Stroud:  This one is on hold as I had to turn it back to the library, gosh darn it! A mid-grade novel about ghost fighters in Britain.  
    • Intuitive Eating by Tribole and Resch:  Non-fiction about eating psychology and biology.  I've been dipping in and out of it for the last few months!

    Added to the TBR:

    This is a list of books that I have added to my Goodreads TBR list this week.  It helps to burn the books I want to read a little more firmly into my mind, maybe get them on some other folks TBRs and gives me a chance to recognize a lot of the awesome bloggers that add stuff to my TBR!

    • The Only Child by Andrew Pyper: A horror novel that sounds really creepy and like it at least attempts something very creative.  Mogsy at The Bibliosanctum recommends it with a few reservations. 
    • Artifact (Jaya Jones Treasure Hunt Mystery) by Gigi Pandian: The name of this series (Treasure Hunt Mystery) is probably enough to pique my interest but the fact that Selah at The Bibliophile's Style really liked it seals the deal.  
      On the BLOG since I last Posted:

      TUESDAY: TOP TEN TUESDAY | There Are Actually Some Book Series I Have not Started. Who knew!?
      THURSDAY: REVIEW |  A Gathering of Shadows by V.E. Schwab  This second book in the series and it was pretty great.



      Happy Summer Solstice!

      P.S.  Not only does the above music totally encapsulate summer and fill my heart with joy but there is also something about the music, the performance, the performer that evokes Lymond for me. Am I just high on the Dunnett koolaid or does this makes sense to any of you other Dunnett fans? 


      No comments:

      Post a Comment