Saturday, June 17, 2017

SATURDAY in the GARDEN | Pretty House Things

Rainy Day in the Garden
OUTSIDE

Knock on wood the garden is moving into its middle stages quite well!  Sure I only got a handful of radishes but I've also gotten a handful of Broccolini - I'm liking this new designer vegetable.

The Sugar Snap Peas which are one of my favorites and which I planted way late are finally producing pods and the tomatoes are getting robust and some even have flowers.  The peppers are also finally starting to grow.  The peppers and tomatoes like the warm, wet weather we've been having the last week or so.


I'm also anxiously anticipating my garlic being ready to harvest. The scapes have come and been cut off and now I'm just waiting for the plants to start looking really crapola which is the sign it's ready to harvest. Mine are getting there - the rule of thumb is that 5-6 of the bottom leaves should be yellow/brown before you yank them.  It's going to be a very small harvest this year:( and I think I may need to buy seed garlic rather than use my own cloves.



GAK

I went on another tour of homes with one of my friends and  these were some of the elements that appealed to and inspired me:









As you can tell I was really enamored with some interesting tile work (mostly in one home) and the "outdoor" spaces.  Anything strike your fancy?


WATCHING, READING and BLOGGING

Watching 

I've continued to watch the BBC mystery show Father Brown featuring Mark Williams (aka Arthur Weasley) as the titular character.  It's fun and suits my zone out, brain dead requirements at the moment:)!

Reading 

Finished Since the Last Time I Posted:

  • The Disorderly Knights (Lymond Chronicles #3) by Dorothy Dunnett: Last week I indicated that at the halfway mark I was not liking this one as well as books two and three.  Then the second half happened and I am now full-on obsessed with all things Lymond.
    CURRENTLY READING
    • Pawn in Frankincense (Lymond Chronicles #4) by Dorothy Dunnett:  SO it's happened as was inevitable.  The Lymond Chronicles have taken over my life.  I want to do nothing but listen to these books.  So glad to be re-reading - it's if anything, better the second time through.  It is no fault of Strong Poison or The Screaming Staircase that I have pretty well abandoned them in order to main line Lymond. 
    • Strong Poison  (Lord Peter Wimsey #6) by Dorothy L. Sayers: Only a few more of these left :( but I hear Lord Peter gets a girlfriend in this one - Ooooohhhhh!
    • The Screaming Staircase (Lockwood & Co. #1) by Jonathan Stroud:  A mid-grade novel about ghost fighters in Britain.  
    • Intuitive Eating by Tribole and Resch:  Non-fiction about eating psychology and biology.  I've been dipping in and out of it for the last few months!

    Added to the TBR:

    This is a list of books that I have added to my Goodreads TBR list this week.  It helps to burn the books I want to read a little more firmly into my mind, maybe get them on some other folks TBRs and gives me a chance to recognize a lot of the awesome bloggers that add stuff to my TBR!

    • The Girl with the Make Believe Husband by Julia Quinn:  This one's set in the U.S. which is odd for Quinn.  It sounds delightful and was recommended by Danya at Fine Print.
    • Why I Loathe Sterling Lane by Ingrid  Paulson:  Another rec from Danya.  I don't usually read contemporary romance but this looked intriguing.
    • The Tree of Hands by Ruth Rendell:  Making my TTT list this week about some of my Dad's favorite mystery writers reminded me that there are several I'd like to try.  Coincidentally this book popped up on sale this week, too!
    • From Doon with Death by Ruth Rendell:  See the above note about the TTT.  I haven't bought this one but wanted to put a reminder to check this book out which is the first in her biggest series.  
    • City of Lies (Counterfeit Lady #1) by Victoria Thompson:  I saw this on somebody else's TBR and immediately became intrigued.  I've read a bunch of books in Thompson's gaslight mystery series (which is historical) and really enjoy her female protagonist in that book!
    • Dragon Teeth by Michael Crichton:  Historical fiction revolving around Paleontology - Sign me up! Recommended by Mogsy at The Bibliosanctum.


    On the BLOG since I last Posted:

    TUESDAY: TOP TEN TUESDAY | Mysteries that My Father Loved
    THURSDAY: REVIEW |  Lady Cop Makes Trouble by Amy Stewart  This second book in the series solidified my love for this series!

    Can you tell from this picture Ella and I's respective feelings for one another, lol? #grumpyrabbit
    HAVE A GREAT WEEK!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment