Monday, October 17, 2016

TOP TEN TUESDAY | Book Characters Who I'd Name Stuff After

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme for bloggers who like books and lists.  It's awesome and is graciously hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

The topic this week is fluffy and fun and not one I'd given much thought to.  It is:
October 18: Ten Characters I'd Name A Child/Dog/Cat/Car/Etc. After -- we did this topic back in 2011 and thought it might be fun to revisit it...feel free to spin it how you need!
I have no kids nor any plans to spawn but I don't have a problem speculating about names of imaginary children.  And it's not entirely true that I have no kids.  I have two of the furry canine variety.  In fact one of my fur babies is named Jasper and I named him thus around 7 years ago when Twilight was a thing.  I had read the first book and knew there was a character named Jasper and not being a fan, I was horrified that folks would think I named him after this character.  I DID NOT:).   I just liked the name and it suits him.  So every time I tell people his name I make a big deal of telling them he's not named after the character in Twilight and they're all Wha? Huh? because Twilight hasn't been a thing now for several years and most of the people I am telling this to don't have it on their radar screen anyway.  It's a fun little joke for me and only me:).
Jasper "Not From Twilight" Shepherd, shortly after receiving his name
So the list below will be names I like and would consider bestowing on some other thing I am called upon to name.  It was harder than I thought actually....

***********

1) Rowl from The Aeronauts Windlass by Jim Butcher

I would give this name to a big old tomcat that decided to call my house home.  In the books it's the name of a cat and the cats in this world are sentient and their speech is understood but they are still cats in the best senses of the word.  It's delightful.

2) Ronan Lynch from The Raven Cycle by Maggie Stiefvater

I have a bit of Irish heritage and I really like the name Ronan.  I also really love the character of Ronan in The Raven Cycle books by Maggie Stiefvater and would be thrilled to have such a foul-mouthed, smart ass but ultimately loving and loyal son.  Or perhaps an Irish Wolfhound.

3) Augustus "Gus" McCrae from Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry

I actually briefly had a cat named Gus!  I would totally name another beloved pet Augustus after one of my favorite characters in literature.

4) R.F. Jackaby from Jackaby by William Ritter

So I can't really remember Jackaby's first name, I just really like his surname Jacakby.  It's fun and spunky sounding and I also really like the name Jack so automatic cool shortening.

5) Sherlock Holmes or Watson from the Sherlock Holmes series by Arthur Conan Doyle

I'm a big fan of the Sherlock Holmes Universe and have always wanted to name a pet either, Holmes (guinea pig?), Sherlock (Lock for short - Springer Spaniel?) or Watson (Cat?).

6) Marian Halcombe from the The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins

I'm not even that fond of the name Marian but the lady of that name in Woman in White is absolutely the best.   Maybe a bulldog?

7) Poppet and Widget from The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

I love this book, I love these characters and I would totally name two gigantic floppy eared rabbits after them.

8) Ella from Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine

This is a great story and great female role model and it's also a really lovely name.  If I had a daughter this would be in the running.

9) Lucy from Multiple (The Drake Chronicles by Alyxandra Harvey and The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis)

I like the name Lucy and I can think of two different characters with this name that I really like.  It comes with good vibes.  I think this would work for most female pets actually.

One of my favorite incarnations of Arthur. #who's got the coconuts)
10) Arthur from any and all Arthurian Legends

I love the Arthurian legends and Arthur is my favorite of the characters.  I think it would make a great name for a dog.  The only problem is how to shorten it?  Art is not acceptable.

***********
So do you have any pets or children you named after a literary character?  Do Tell!


No comments:

Post a Comment