Saturday, September 10, 2016

Saturday in the Garden | Be Curious, Not Judgmental

OUTSIDE

....It's GORGEOUS.  Seriously beautiful day.  I began it by leading a workshop on creating habitat for pollinators at the local Arboretum and it was lovely.  A great small group of folks, a beautiful location and we even got a net on several species of butterflies.  It was the perfect way to start the day and has left me feeling very relaxed and dreamy.  A beautiful day will do that:)!

I've got a ton more lima beans coming on which is exciting!  I really like the variety I planted at least as far as productivity.  I haven't yet tasted them, though which is the real test.

GAK

The internet was out for most of today.  That and the fact that I was up and at 'em and working this a.m. gave me the motivation to be lazy and read all afternoon!  I usually curl up on my couch to read but the perfect temperatures and open windows convinced me to venture up stairs (which is not well cooled/heated by my AC/furnace) to my catch all room and it was totally delightful.  I've been thinking of using this room more  - as a meditation and yoga room and to read obviously.  The windows look out on the canopies of the two big oaks in my front yard and it's a very peaceful feeling room.  I just need to figure out that ventilation thing.  Ahhh... old houses:).

The dogs also like to be perched above everything, surveying all (see below).


WATCHING, READING and BLOGGING

Watching 

I've continued to catch-up with Once Upon A Time.  I finished watching season 1 and am halfway through season 2.  I am realizing with the re-watch just how brilliant that first season is - they do such a good job weaving the modern and fairy tale plots together.  Also the characters, particularly Snow White/Mary Margaret and Charming/David.  The writers and actors did such a good job making the fairy tale character and their alter ego very similar but not exactly alike which is really fun to watch and take apart.  Particularly as you move into season 2, Snow White acts in a subtly different way, a more motherly way, to Emma than Mary Margaret did who was just Emma's friend  - Ginnifer Goodwin does a great job and it's fun to watch her play with it.  Similarly, David isn't a bad guy but he's kind of wishy-washy ass while "Charming"  is much more heroic and decisive.  Anyway, this is a really fun show, at least through season 2, and if you haven't checked it out, you should!  If you're already a fan and less delinquent than I, do I have good stuff awaiting me in seasons 3-5?

P.S.  I also recently discovered that Ginnifer Goodwin (Snow White) and Josh Dallas (Charming) are married in real life and have two kids so that explains how they are able to sell the twu wuv so convincingly!

Reading

Finished Last Week:

  • Duplicate Death by Georgette Heyer:  I wish every book was a Georgette Heyer book.  
  • Rattle His Bones (Daisy Dalrymple #8) by Carola Dunn: Getting back to this series after a several year hiatus.  It's a mystery series set in 1920s London, very light and fluffy.  So I haven't quite finished this but I will as soon as  I finish this post! I only have ~30 pages left.

Currently Reading:

  • Lair of Dreams (The Diviners #2)  by Libba Bray:  I had an actual Love-Hate relationship with the first book in this series but there was enough love to make me curious about where the series is headed.  I am not not enjoying this book but I'm not making very fast progress.  I just can't express how little I care about Evie and her relationship entanglements with Sam and Jericho.  I had to return this to the library and I was making no progress in it.  I'll try picking it up again later.
  • Peace is Every Step by Thich Nhat Hanh:  This is a book of short and somewhat random essays/speeches/lessons by Hanh about mindfulness, gathered together in this book by some of his students. 
  • Enchanter's End Game (The Belgariad #5) by David Eddings: The concluding book!  I've really been enjoying this re-read.  Glad this series has held up.  

Added to the TBR:

This is a list of books that I have added to my Goodreads TBR list this week.  It helps to burn the books I want to read a little more firmly into my mind, maybe get them on some other folks TBRs and gives me a chance to recognize a lot of the awesome bloggers that add stuff to my TBR!

Nothing added this week!

Blogging 

On the BLOG LAST WEEK:

THURSDAY: REVIEW | A Study in Charlotte by Brittany Cavallaro

Check out the sitch outside
Be Curious, Not Judgmental.
- Walt Whitman

No comments:

Post a Comment