Monday, August 22, 2016

TOP TEN TUESDAY | The Biggest Delinquents on My TBR List


Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme for bloggers who like books and lists. It's awesome and is graciously hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.


This week's TTT topic is a psychologically helpful one.  It's making me face those books that I've let languish on my TBR for far too long - embrace the shame and forgive;0).  Here's the specific topic:

Ten Books That Have Been On Your Shelf (Or TBR) From Before You Started Blogging That You STILL Haven't Read Yet (this is going to be sad considering how many of those I have unread six years later...)
I started blogging in December 2012.  I have 55 books on my Goodreads To-Read list.  Below are the ten most interesting or shameful or something.

********** 
1) Bellefleur by Joyce Carol Oates

This book is on my 100 Books to read list (though the project is mostly defunct) AND Joyce Carol Oates is one of a handful of major authors I've identified that I haven't read that I'd like to.  Many reasons to read this book about a dysfunctional family.

2) Fair and Tender Ladies by Lee Smith

I love Lee Smith and have read a number of her books except this one...her most famous one.  This is also on my (defunct) 100 books I must read list.  

3) Diary of a Provincial Lady by E.M. Delafield

This and the next book were both recommendations of Simon Savidge at Savidge Reads.  He was kind of the first blog and books Podcast I listened too and even though he and I's taste don't overlap a ton there are a few places where we do.  This is one place where I think we do. 

4) Gillespie and I by Jane Harris

And this is the other place (See #3 above).  

5) Any Human Heart by William Boyd

This is Michael Kindness' (from the sadly now defunct Books on the Nightstand Podcast [Lots of defunctness on this list!]) favorite book.  I think he and I's taste overlap quite a bit and I am very intrigued by this birth to death story that has a 4.25 average rating on Goodreads!



6) The Lost Books of The Odyssey by Zachary Mason

I love Greek mythology and was super excited when I heard about this book.  I even own a copy which actually might be the reason I haven't read it yet, lol.  I tend to ignore the books on my shelves in favor of getting new shiny books from the library or bookstore. Bad Stephanie!  Anyway, here's what it is about:
With brilliant prose, terrific imagination, and dazzling literary skill, Mason creates alternative episodes, fragments, and revisions of Homer’s original that taken together open up this classic Greek myth to endless reverberating interpretations.


**APPARENTLY, I went through a phase in 2011 of wanting to read all the non-fiction books that have the longest names.  Or perhaps non-fiction books in this modern era just have longer names as a general rule?  Anyhoo, here's a whole passel of them that I'd still really like to read.  Honestly, I would!**





This is another one I own and I even started it.  I (used to?) love history, am very interested and not very educated about this time period and this book gets rave reviews.  I put it down after a few chapters but do want to get back to it sometime.


I also own this one!  Why haven't I read it yet!  Little House on the Prairie was probably my favorite show as a kid and this book is supposed to be very funny and got great reviews.


I extra special want to read this after reading, and adoring, some fiction by Amy Stewart!


Another one I own, languishing on my Kindle.

*******
Someday, maybe?  How about you?  What are the titles you've been sitting and staring at the longest?

No comments:

Post a Comment