Tuesday, November 3, 2015

TOP TEN TUESDAY | Debut Novels that Rocked my Socks

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme for bloggers who like books and lists. It's awesome and is graciously hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

Who doesn't love a fantastic debut novel?  It may not always be as polished or sophisticated as later works but a good debut always seems fresh and bursting with all the imagination and fantasies an author has spent their life thus far dreaming and worrying over.  It's exciting!  As you might guess this week's Top Ten Tuesday is focused on our most recent favorite debut novels:
Top Ten Debut Authors Who Have Me Looking Forward To Their Sophomore Novel (because when you love a debut you just are ITCHING to get your hands on the author's second book) or Top Ten Sophomore Novels That I Loved Just As Much If Not More As The Author's Debut (no one hit wonders heeeere!)
My list is pretty short.  I am woefully neglectful of new releases compared to most book bloggers out there so most of my favorite debuts have long since had many follow ups.  Despite this, I was able to come up with a few newer entries:

*************

1) William Ritter |  Jackaby

I actually just finished the follow up to this fabulous 2014 debut featuring an eccentric paranormal detective and his plucky female assistant in Victorian New England.  Beastly Bones didn't quite give me the thrill Jackaby did but it was a very good follow up and I can see this being a go to series that I will devour as it develops. 

2) Daniel O'Malley | The Rook

This debut came out 3 years ago and was one of my favorite books of that year. A cheeky and unique Urban Fantasy/Spy thriller with one of my favorite protagonists of recent years.  I have been anxiously awaiting...and awaiting...it's follow up, Stiletto, which has had its publication date pushed back several times.  Not sure that's a great sign but lots of great authors need to take their time to write their best stuff so I'm still excited for it.

3) Erin Morgenstern | The Night Circus

I loved this beautiful, magical book so hard that I am almost afraid of what the sophomore novel will be.  Can it possibly be as great?  I can't wait to find out.  It's also a timely selection as it began as a NaNoWriMo writing project!

4) Susan Cain | Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World that Can't Stop Talking

It feels a little weird to include a non-fiction author but Quiet really rocked my world and I am interested to see what else Susan Cain has up her sleeve!

5) Ernie Cline | Ready Player One

His follow-up to Ready Player One just came out a couple of months ago and I am really looking forward to reading it.  Such a fun first book!

6) Andy Weir  | The Martian

I am one of the many who adored this debut novel that was originally self-published!  Can't wait to see the movie (I'm slow) and what he comes up with for his second novel.

7) Madeline Miller | The Song of Achilles

This book was amazing.  A mesmerizing re-imagining of Achilles and the Trojan War.  It was pretty close to perfect which is mighty impressive for a debut.  I look forward to her next offering!

**************

That covers my favorite debuts from about the last five years, or at least those that haven't had several other books published since.  I really should read more debuts especially since a number of book podcasts I listen to have been positively gushing about all the fabulous debuts that have come out this year.  What are some of your favorite recent debuts?  What am I missing out on?  Also if you haven't already check out all the other great lists linked at The Broke and the Bookish, I suggest you do so!


No comments:

Post a Comment