Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Top Ten Tuesday - The Good, the Bad and the Ugly in Bookish Romances

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme for bloggers who like books and lists.  It's awesome and is graciously hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

This week's topic is the Top Ten Things we like or dislike when it comes to romances in books.  I have a few opinions here...by which I mean I am really picky about how a romance goes down in the fiction I enjoy.   I am going to do half and half.  And there may be more than 10.  Just sayin'.

DISLIKE...


Before I go off on a wave of negativity, I should say that almost all these things can work for me, if done well and in certain circumstances.  So it's a conditional dislike.


1) Alpha Males

There is probably something off about me, evolutionarily speaking, but Alpha Males rarely do it for me.  I know I am unusual because they seem to be a pretty popular if you go by how often they show up in books.   There are a few exceptions to my dislike rule with one that leaps directly to mind being Curran from the Kate Daniels series (by Ilona Andrews) - maybe because Kate is just as much an Alpha and doesn't put up with any of his shit:).

2) When "things" happen too fast

I prefer a slooooooow burn.  Related to to this....

3) Insta-love

This may seem like a repeat of number two but this is a special particularly egregious instance of number 2.  Love at first site sounds romantic but it's really just ridiculous.  Attraction or chemistry at first sight that then develops into love as you get to know someone?  That's okay.

3)  Romance dominating a non-romance book 

I like a little bit a romance to show up in almost every story I consume but I appreciate most when it doesn't dominate.  

4) Love Triangles

Can we all just agree to stop this madness?  It can be done well but I rarely enjoy it.

5) Too Much Overt Angst  

To say I don't like angsty romance is a lie.  Two of my favorite TV couples are Scully and Mulder from The X Files and Sam and Jack from Stargate SG1.  It doesn't get much angstier then those two couples but the key is that it is all hidden and conveyed in fraught glances and small scenes every tenth episode.  Too much DRAMA generally makes me prone to an eye-rolling related injury.

6) Being dropped in the middle

I have trouble believing in a relationship if I haven't seen it develop from day one.

LIKE...


It goes without saying - the opposite of much of the above would be on the likes list. But also...

7) Opposites Attract

A lot of times these start with the two lovebirds being at each others' throat then slowly realizing how well they complement one another. 

8) Humor

This is most important in straight up romance novels.  I don't love romances that take themselves too seriouslyOr really seriously at all.


9) Friends to Lovers

Anne Shirley and Gilbert Blythe.  Need I say more? 

10) The Rake Reformed

 I love when the bad boy, man slut finds his true love. 

11) Falling in Love while Adventuring

This is typical in Epic Fantasy romances and I really adore it. 

That's it for me this week!  What floats (or sinks) your romantic boat?

No comments:

Post a Comment