Saturday, July 29, 2017

Saturday in the Garden | The Prettiest Day in Pretty Land

I like to garden and generally putter around in my yard and my Saturday in the Garden posts serve as my pseudo- garden journal, plus round-up of my week in reading, watching and blogging.  Occasionally, I'll whine, rant or gush about something in a GAK section. 

OUTSIDE


Today is the prettiest day in pretty land. Robin's egg cloudless sky, low humidity, 80ish degrees.  Oh summer, you minx, just when I thought you were becoming unbearable.

The garden has definitely entered that part of the season when things are starting to go to pot.  I've already mentioned that most of my tomatoes in pots are a bust and now two of my Beam's Pear in the raised bed are dying...loaded with fruit of course that will now never ripen. *sob* On the up side the few prairie plants I've somehow coaxed to live in my shady yard are looking better than they ever have.




WATCHING, READING and BLOGGING

Watching 

In an attempt to break my TV Show slump, I am being SUPER creative and watching...MOVIES.  I have been out of the habit of watching movies for years now but I thought the shorter form storytelling may be the break I needed.  This week I watched Trolls (cute!), Iron Man and Iron Man 2.  I'd seen the two Iron Man movies before but it had been a long while.  The first one really is insanely delightful and Robert Downey, Jr. was made for the role of Tony Stark.

Reading 

Finished Since the Last Time I Posted:

  • The Line (Witching Savannah #1) by J.D. Horn: This is an urban fantasy series that's been on my TBR for a while.  This was good. not great but good.  Mercy, the main character is a bit of a Mary Sue but I didn't want to shove her off of a tall building so that's something and the story frequently zigged when I expected it to zag.
  • Spirit Animals: Wild Born by Brandon Mull:  This is a middle grade fantasy series where each of the books is written by a different author and what a list of authors it is!  It got on my radar because Garth Nix is one of the authors but also on the list are Maggie Stiefvater, Shannon Hale and Marie Lu. So despite the fact that the idea for the series sounds so gimmicky (it's a book series paired with a video game apparently) I wanted to give it a try. This wasn't anything that's going to break molds or change lives but I really enjoyed it!
    CURRENTLY READING
    • The Demon King by Cinda Williams Chima:  Epic YA fantasy that sounds super duper amazing!  I'm finally starting to really get into this one!  Have been reading it in the lounge chair most of the afternoon.
    • The Devil's Novice (Brother Cadfael #8) by Ellis Peters: This is one of my favorite historical mystery series about a monk in medieval England.
    • Furiously Happy by Jenny Lawson:  This is the second memoir by "The Bloggess" that focuses specifically on Lawson's struggles with mental illness with a humorous touch.  
    • Intuitive Eating by Tribole and Resch:  Non-fiction about eating psychology and biology.  I've been dipping in and out of it for the last few months!

    Added to the TBR:

    This is a list of books that I have added to my Goodreads TBR list this week.  It helps to burn the books I want to read a little more firmly into my mind, maybe get them on some other folks TBRs and gives me a chance to recognize a lot of the awesome bloggers that add stuff to my TBR!
    • You Die When You Die by Angus Watson: Mogsy at The Bibliosanctum really liked this one and I am drawn to that title, weird morbid person that I am.  
    • Lost Boy by Christina Henry:  I like stories about the villains of popular tales that reveal that the villain isn't really all that bad. This looks like a satisfying, though dark, Captain Hook origin story. Also recommended by Mogsy
      On the BLOG since I last Posted:

      WEDNESDAY: REVIEW | Career of Evil by Robert Galbraith.  My favorite of this series thus far and a 5 star read. 



      HAVE A GREAT WEEK!

      No comments:

      Post a Comment