Saturday, July 1, 2017

Saturday in the Garden | Of Wrens and Rabbits


OUTSIDE

Earlier this week I looked out the kitchen window and noticed that the long-empty (3 months-I'm lazy) bird feeder hanging just outside was no longer empty. Huh.  I went out to investigate and found it was about a quarter full of twiggy sticks.  How the hell did they get in there?  I was puzzled and thought the only explanation was that a critter, probably bird, was building a nest in there.  But how were they getting in and out of the feeder?  I staked it out and by the next day was able to "capture" the culprit.  An exquisite little house wren - a mini bird if ever there was one  - and they were able to squeeze their little feathery selves through the small opening at the top of the feeder.  Sadly shortly after I got this pic, the wrens abandoned the nest before laying eggs and have obviously taken up residence elsewhere.  For a little while though, I felt vindicated in my laziness:0).



Another project I got done this week, being on vacation and all, was to get a new rain barrel and install it (see pic at the top of the post).  I had to replace the old rain barrel because I left it outside too long into the winter and the plastic cracked on the bottom.  Laziness, unvindicated. :(

GAK 

So, Ella and I are going through a rough patch.  How can one go through a rough patch with a ridiculously adorable floofy bunny?  Well, I'll tell ya, bunny's are tough y'all.  They are easily terrified and easily offended and are about as trusting as a gnat - i.e. not very.  They're prey animals so it is deeply ingrained into their soul that if they are not vigilant aginst every perceived threat or slight they will die a terrible death and be eaten.  That's a lot of stress to live with.  The long and short of it? You know that saying about trying to be the person your dog thinks you are?  Well you definitely do not want to be the person your bunny thinks you are because then you would be the Devil, lol.  Anyway, something broke in our tentatively developing friendship and we've kind of had to start over with me having to accept that I can pretty much never pick her up except in dire emergencies.  This isn't how it is with all bunnies but my feeling is that Ella is particularly sensitive and isn't afraid to show her displeasure.  She's a bossy little (big) bunny and if you piss her off she will bite you. Hard.  She drew blood this week.  So.  I still adore and love her to pieces.  She thinks I'm the worst.  I detail these dramas just in case you were thinking of getting a rabbit and thought it would be easy,lol. Nope.

If this isn't a "I don't trust you" look I don't know what is.


WATCHING, READING and BLOGGING

Watching 

Since I was off from work this week I decided to splurge and get sucked into a KDrama.  I chose Faith or The Great Doctor (it has two names - I don't know why).  It's about a modern-day plastic surgeon who gets sucked back in time to feudal Korea.  I'm enjoying it but it probably won't be one of my favorites.  Also, a little less than halfway through it, Viki.com lost the license to show it in the U.S. Grrrrr... I've canceled my subscription with them and switched over to Drama Fever so we'll see how that goes.  So far I got irritated with it because it requires Adobe Flash Player which apparently is persnickety in Chrome  - this took me about an hour of frustration to figure out.  But the subs are much better :).  And Lee Min Ho was worth the trouble, don't you agree?:). Because he's a really good actor. Yep.  Super great.



Reading 

Finished Since the Last Time I Posted:

  • The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo:  I think I got this free from Audible at some point?  It mostly made me laugh - I'm not sure I'm the target audience - but it also had some good tips.  
    CURRENTLY READING
    • Checkmate (Lymond Chronicles #6) by Dorothy Dunnett:  The last one *sobs*!
    • Strong Poison  (Lord Peter Wimsey #6) by Dorothy L. Sayers: Only a few more of these left :( but I hear Lord Peter gets a girlfriend in this one - Ooooohhhhh!
    • A Murder in Time by Julie McEwain:  About an FBI agent who ends up sent back in time to Regency era England, just in time for a series of gruesome murders to take place which she must solve.
    • Grace (Eventually) by Anne Lamott: Anne Lamott is a famous writer about faith from a very liberal standpoint.  This is a series of essays with no strongly discernible theme besides getting through life, while trying to be a decent human being.  
    • ON HOLD The Screaming Staircase (Lockwood & Co. #1) by Jonathan Stroud:  This one is on hold as I had to turn it back to the library, gosh darn it! A mid-grade novel about ghost fighters in Britain.  
    • Intuitive Eating by Tribole and Resch:  Non-fiction about eating psychology and biology.  I've been dipping in and out of it for the last few months!

    Added to the TBR:

    This is a list of books that I have added to my Goodreads TBR list this week.  It helps to burn the books I want to read a little more firmly into my mind, maybe get them on some other folks TBRs and gives me a chance to recognize a lot of the awesome bloggers that add stuff to my TBR!
      On the BLOG since I last Posted:

      TUESDAY: TOP TEN TUESDAY | Best Reads so Far in 2017 
      THURSDAY: REVIEW |  City of Mirrors by Justin Cronin  Great ending to an uneven series.




      Have a Great Week!



      No comments:

      Post a Comment