Saturday, March 11, 2017

SATURDAY in the GARDEN | Tornadoes and Bunny!

Well I took  little unplanned hiatus from the interwebs this week.  No particular reason, just tired. *shrugs* I'm ridiculous sometimes.  Aren't we all.  Anyway, the next few weeks may be a little sparse posting and visiting wise because I have a bunch of weekend work commitments and weekends are when I do most of my internetting.
OUTSIDE

So I don't know if this really counts as "outside" because, well, this is not a wild animal but behold my new parsley munching friend!


And the inevitable Parsley hangover.  Isn't she cute as a damn button?  Her name is Ella and she's an 11 week old French Lop. She'll probably weigh between 12-15 lbs when she's full grown so big, for a rabbit.  I have wanted a rabbit for ages and finally bit the bullet.  I am totally in love with her.  She gives me these great frankly appraising looks that are hilarious when juxtaposed with her general adorableness.

In garden news I've got some of my seeds started and the onions have sprouted.  It's going to be a very weird gardening year with how crazy this winter has been.

Today I was giving a program on Bald Eagles and we ended it with a field trip to an Eagle nest.  While watching the eagles futz around with their nest and generally put on a show, a pair of Sandhill Cranes called from the other side of the road where we were parked watching. They eventually flew up from the creek bed they were hanging out in and proceeded to walk around with stately grace giving everyone good if distant views. VERY cool!  Also saw/heard my first Killdeers of the year. So, good day!

Finally, in other weird weather news, we had a small tornado (or something very close to a tornado) go right by my work place.  It took down a bunch of trees and cut our power for about 15 hours - exciting!  That's the closest brush I've ever had with a tornado and it was in early March for goodness sake.  


WATCHING, READING and BLOGGING

Watching 

I completed another anime, Yona of the Dawn. It was all set to be my favorite anime yet but then it just...ended.  It totally seems like it should have a 3rd season but it is marked as complete and last aired March 2015.  It doesn't end on a complete cliffhanger but there were many, many things left unresolved and just... confused. So blergh.

Reading 

Finished Since the Last Time I Posted:

  • The Gathering of Shadows (Shades of Magic #2) by V.E. Schwab: I got this in Audio despite the fact that I hated the audio of the first book (liked the book but not the reader) but they switched narrators so...  This book is one I'm going to have a hard time reviewing.  In some ways I liked it better than book 1 but then there's Lila... she's the WORST.  Ihad started liking her at the end of book 1 but I really hated her in this book.  She's a anti-social sociopath - why then does EVERYONE love her?
  • Six of Crows (Six of Crows #1)by Leigh Bardugo: I LOVED this book!  Need Crooked Kingdom right now!
  • A Curious Beginning (Veronica Speedwell #1) by Deanna Raybourn:  I also really loved this historical, thriller/mystery.  The two protags are Victorian natural historians! I flew through it.  Veronica's one of the best characters I've encountered in a long while
  • Monstress, Vol. 1 by Marjorie Liu: This was okay.  Creative, unique, loved the art.  Was not as blown away as I expected though....  Oh expectations, you are a fickle friend.
CURRENTLY READING
  • The Dark Days Pact (Lady Helen #2) by Alison Goodman: I'm pretty excited about this sequel to The Dark Days Club that is sort of a supernatural Buffy in Regency England.
  • The Prophecy Con (Rogues of the Republic #2) by Patrick Weekes:  Happy to be back with the gang!
  • Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins: I am very close to done with this.  I rarely if ever read contemporary YA or romance and yet this is both.  It is, as advertised totally delightful even to my cynical, wizened old basically middle-aged heart.
  • Why Shoot a Butler? by Georgette Heyer:  It's a good question, Georgette and I look forward to you answering it!

Added to the TBR:

This is a list of books that I have added to my Goodreads TBR list this week.  It helps to burn the books I want to read a little more firmly into my mind, maybe get them on some other folks TBRs and gives me a chance to recognize a lot of the awesome bloggers that add stuff to my TBR!


I was about to write NADA but apparently I did add a whole slew of books before dropping off the internets...

  • The Backstagers (Vol. 1) by James Tynion, IV and Rian Sygh:  A middle grade graphic novel about theater geeks, recommended by Danya at Fine Print
  • Handbook for Dragon Slayers by Merrie Haskell:  Also recommended at Fine Print, this is a middle grade novel about a Princess who decides to be a dragon slayer.  
  • The Grey Bastards (#1) by Jonathan French:  Recommended by Mogsy at The Bibliosanctum as being like a "shot of good tequila".  I can totally get behind this kind of intense and raucous fantasy! This book is part of the series on the blog featuring self-published works!
  • Devil in Spring (The Ravenals #3) by Lisa Kleypas:  Lark at The Bookwyrm's Hoard made me aware that a) there is a companion series to Kleypas' Wallflower series of Regency romances (which I adore) and b) this book features the son of the couple from A Devil in Winter which is my FAVORITE. Aw, yeah, I'm gonna read the heck out of this!
  • Kings of the Wyld (The Band #1) by Nicholas Eames:  This sounds like a humorous, grim dark, getting the band back together fantasy.  Nathan from Fantasy Review Barn recommended it very highly and I've heard good things all around!
  • Amberlough by Lara Elena Donnelly:  Nathan also raved, positively raved, about this book which sounds like an utterly unique fantasy novel about an oppressive government and set in a cabaret club.
  • Grave Witch (Alex Craft #1) by Kalayna Price: An intriguing sounding UF series that I'd never heard of and recommended by Anya at On Starships and Dragonwings.
  • Captain Blood by Rafael Sabatini:  A generally well-loved book in the pirate genre (yes it is its own genre, so say I) that I'd never heard of and which sounds awesome.  It was featured on the Reading the End podcast.  They did a segment on books about the sea and I was totally gonna steal the idea and do my own post because I love the sea but then I discovered that I'd already done a post of this, lol.  Good thing I looked:). 

    On the BLOG LAST WEEK:

    I didn't post a darn thing this week so the below are from last week ...

    TUESDAY: (FAKE) TOP TEN TUESDAY | Critters on Covers The last 10 books I've read that had an animal on the cover.  Suprisingly interesting. To me.  Possibly no one else:).
    THURSDAY: REVIEW | Dark Days Club by Alison Goodman


    HAVE A GREAT WEEK!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment