Monday, January 4, 2016

TOP TEN TUESDAY | 2016 Reading Resolutions

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme for bloggers who like books and lists. It's awesome and is graciously hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

It's a brand spankin' new year, all shiny and full of possibilities so of course those organized women over at The Broke and The Bookish are directing everyone to think about what we want from our reading year in 2016.  That's right it's time for some reading (or related) resolutions.  I got a few and here they are.  

1) Read 115 Books in 2016.

This is my Goodreads goal which equals the record number of books I read in 2015.  I'd like to see if I can keep that up!

2) No More Reading Challenges... except for number 1 up there.

Seriously, me and challenges don't get on. I've tried and I've failed. I'm a mood reader, so trying to dictate and tie myself down to any kind of strict reading plan is just not going to work.

3) Push Myself

I played it very safe, or perhaps the better word is comfortable, with my reading this year. That's fine and all - a big reason I read is for simple pleasure and entertainment - but I also really appreciate having my eyes opened to new ways of seeing the world.  My goal is to read more books by and/or about people with substantially different life experiences than I (country of origin/setting, race, religion, sexual orientation, socio-economic status etc...) so that I continue to broaden rather than narrow my perspective of the world.

4) Try to get a handle on my out of control addiction to series.

I love book series and and there's nothing wrong with that but it has gotten a little out of control. Being in the middle of so many series (at least 50 according to Goodreads) is taxing on my brain which already has a hard enough time keeping up with and remembering real life things much less fictional happenings.  I plan to do a whole post about curbing my series addiction but the general idea will be a short moratorium on starting new series and targeting certain series of which I am currently in the middle.

5) More Media Tie-ins

After I've gotten my series list a little more under control, I'd like to tackle a few more media tie-in novels starting with Star Wars.

6) Read more Non-fiction

I only read 4 non-fiction books in 2015 which is just odd.  I like non-fiction a lot and there are a ton of non-fiction titles on my TBR so this shouldn't be a difficult resolution to keep.

7) Read at least 1 page every night before bed. 

I feel like for most readers, reading before sleep every night is kind of a given but not for me.  Most if not all of my reading during the work week is audio.  I'd like to make reading before bed every night a habit.

8) Spruce up the blog and commenting system

I'll throw in one blog resolution.  I am still shamefully ignorant of anything related to web development despite having this here blog for 3 whole years.  I've just been kind of schleppin' along with it cause this is just a hobby ya know but I sure would like it to be a little more streamlined and easy to use for me and for anyone visiting. NO idea how to make that happen but I'm gonna work on it.

And that's all the resoluting I got in me.  What's your most treasured reading hope and dream for 2016?

No comments:

Post a Comment