Saturday, January 9, 2016

Saturday in the Garden - Movie Time

OUTSIDE

I don't have much to report.  I haven't been paying attention like I should.  I did do my Bald Eagle Midwinter Survey today.  This is a national survey, consisting mostly of standardized driving routes along rivers to try and get a snapshot of eagle numbers in the U.S.  There wasn't much activity today on my route as it was very cold and blustery so most critters were holed up.  Makes me appreciate my cozy little bolt hole.

LIFE

The first full week of 2016 and it went pretty okay.  And that's pretty much all I have to say. Words are not with me this Saturday.  Hope you all's first week was good!

WATCHING, READING and BLOGGING

Watching 

I went on a bit of a movie binge this week which is unusual because I really don't watch movies very regularly anymore. As such, I had a slew of 2015 releases that I wanted to catch up on. First up was Jurassic World and all I can say is WOW.  Loved it!

Next was Jupiter Ascending which I know got generally panned but the ladies at the Fangirl Happy Hour podcast really loved it so I thought it was worth a shot. Ummmm... I don't really know what to say. It was so awkward and stilted in many ways and not at all what I expected. And on the shallow end of things they made Channing Tatum look repellent...why would you do that?  I just can't get behind that.  On the other hand it's kind of stuck with me. So I don't know. On the fence about that one.

Pitch Perfect II was number three on the list and it was a lot of fun.  Definitely fluff but funny and I love me some acapella.

Final movie was Mad Max: Fury Road which I really liked though it took probably a good 20 minutes before I stopped just being confused and could start getting into it.

Towards the end of the week, I also did get in some TV watching as well.  I picked up Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. where I had abandoned it around episode 4, season 1.  I really want to love this show because I adore Joss Whedon but I just wasn't feeling it.  Episode 5 did the trick though!  I am officially a fan though Skye can go jump off a cliff.  What is it with Whedon and his love for Eliza Dushku/Faith soundandlook-a-likes?  But that's a conversation for another day.

Reading

Finished Last Week: 

  • The Founding by Cynthia Harrod-Eagles:  I pulled this one off my back-burner list and started it again.  This is the first book in a series that follows a family from the late middle ages through modern times.  I'm of two minds about this one.
  • Blue Lily, Lily Blue by Maggie Stiefvater:  The third in the Raven Cycle books. This one left me with more questions and not in a good way; in a why the hell did character X do Y? That makes no sense.  Still charmed and in love though, so no harm done.

Currently Reading:

  • Into the Wilderness by Sarah Donati:  Historical fiction/romance (different actually then just a historical romance) I had to wait behind 6 other patrons on the hold list to get this from the library despite the fact it was published in 1998.  Not sure why - maybe because it gets compared to Outlander and that's big right now?  Even though I did not like Outlander, I am liking this so far.  Set in the American frontier just pre or post revolution period (somewhere between 1750 and 1800:).
  • Steal the Sky by Megan O'Keefe:  An ARC and the first in a new science fiction series that sounds Firefly-esque.  Publication: January 5th, 2016.
  • The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland and Led the Revels There by Cathrynne M. Valente: Second book in the fairyland series.  

Added to the TBR:

This is a list of books that I have added to my Goodreads TBR list this week.  It helps to burn the books I want to read a little more firmly into my mind, maybe get them on some other folks TBRs and gives me a chance to recognize a lot of the awesome bloggers that add stuff to my TBR!


Blogging 

On the BLOG LAST WEEK:


No comments:

Post a Comment