Saturday, July 25, 2015

Saturdays in the Garden - Raggedy Garden and Fluffy Clouds

OUTSIDE

My intention is to keep this week's Saturday in the Garden short and sweet.  I worked today leading a couple of butterfly hikes for a bioblitz event.  What the heck is a bioblitz?  A bunch of taxanomic experts all gather on a particular natural area on the same day and do an inventory for their group of interest.  It's often morphed into an educational event where the public comes out and learns about the area and the wildlife and the area gets a species list in return.  Fun!

So....There's been no major activity in the garden except for things starting to look pretty ragged.

The sky was pretty this week and we have a couple of adorable Barn Swallow chicks growing out of their nest on the front porch of our office.
 
LIFE 

I don't usually do links round-ups but I've encountered a few random articles over the last couple weeks that I've liked and they're way more interesting than anything going on in life!

WATCHING, READING and BLOGGING


Watching

It was sort of a random watching week.  I started watching a few episodes of The West Wing which I have, shockingly, never watched.  It's clever and interesting and funny but it almost lost me pretty early on when they featured the wildlife conservationists on their "Crackpot Day" episode but I'll probably keep going eventually. First I have to get over my Doctor Who jag.  I finally watched the 50th anniversary episode which was Fan-freakin'-tastic.  I've also been reading a bunch of Doctor Who novels featuring the Ninth and Tenth Doctors and that started me down the road of a 57th re-watch of season 1 and....who knows where this ends:0).  

Books

Finished Last Week:

  • Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Harry Potter Book 3) by J.K. Rowling: Part of my Harry Potter re-read by audio.  It was bitchin'!
  • The Unseen Guest (The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place #3) by Maryrose Wood: This is a totally adorable middle-grade series that I am listening to as the narration by Katherine Kellgren is fantastic!
  • Doctor Who: The Clockwise Man by Justin Richards: Doctor Who adventures in book form.  Fun!  This features the Ninth Doctor and Rose. 

Currently Reading:

  • Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe: So maybe some day I'll pick this up again?  Until then it will sit here on the currently read and produce feelings of profound shame.
  •  In the Garden of Iden by Kage Baker:  Immortal cyborgs in Elizabethan England!  Need I say more?
  • Ghost Story (Dresden Files #13) by Jim Butcher: Harry is actually dead and a ghost in this one.  Clever Butcher, very clever.  
  • The Founding (The Morland Dynasty #1) by Cynthia Harrod-Eagles: This is the first book in a series that follows a single British family through numerous generations into modern times.  This first book takes place in the early 15th century.  This is such a fascinating idea and I have high hopes but I have to say the characters in this first book are shallow and are doing nothing for me. 

On the BLOG LAST WEEK:


SUNDAY: LONGMIRE - the first half of season 1. The first in a series of obsessive posts about this show.  Sorry. 
TUESDAY: Top Ten Tuesday: Books that Celebrate Diversity - Hosted by The Broke and The Bookish
THURSDAY: Tough Traveling: Middle Aged Heroes. A fun meme hosted by Fantasy Review Barn to explore all the beloved tropes of the SFF genre.
FRIDAY: REVIEW: Shadow Scale by Rachel Hartman  - I was disappointed and this review was a bitch to write:0(.

On the BLOG NEXT WEEK

SUNDAY: Second Longmire post featuring the second half of season 1.
TUESDAY: The Top Ten Tuesday topic this week doesn't excite me so much so wild card post today.
WEDNESDAY:  Book Review TBD.  
THURSDAY: The Tough Traveling meme is highlighting Middle Age Heroes Flying Mounts in Fantasy land.  Learn more over on Fantasy Review Barn.

Have a great week everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment