Sunday, July 12, 2015

Saturdays in the Garden - OBX 2015 and Heroes

OUTSIDE

Yes, I know it's actually Sunday here in the U.S. but the spirit of this post is pure Saturday.  It's been a couple weeks since I've posted because I spent some time vacationing and didn't take the computer along.  So things are a little discombobulated  - sorry.  Though isn't the word discombobulated the best?

A week away from the garden and I'm always amazed at all the changes.  Baby tomatoes have started, the garlic is definitely ready for harvest, both the cucumbers and zucchini have flowered, three of my blueberries have ripened (FINALLY), my peppers grew big.  Stuff is happening.  The garden is also starting to look very bedraggled and needs a lot of weeding and general clean-up...which I hope to get to later this week as it ain't happening today:0)!





LIFE

As I mentioned, I've been on vacation for the past week.  I spent last weekend in my hometown of Richmond, VA visiting friends and then headed down to Hatteras Island in the Outer Banks of North Carolina for the rest of the week with family.  It had been about 3 years since I had been back east and had a good visit with family so it was awesome.  The Outer Banks (now affectionately known as OBX) is one of my favorite places on the planet.  My family spent two weeks there every summer during my childhood and it is my idea of heaven.  The ocean never fails to awe me and there is just something about the beaches and the "culture" of the outer banks that make this area special.  It has become quite a popular destination since my childhood days when there was only one lonely grocery store on the whole stretch of islands.  It is now overrun with people which always makes me a little sad when I go back but it has still managed to hold onto it's special something.
So I know it's a little weird to include a picture of food but do you know how often I get fresh seafood in Iowa? Yup.  Never.



You can't really tell in this pic but this pier was totally funhouse - it was crooked and uneven and didn't look stable.



I'd like to thank Jim Butcher, J.K. Rowling and Sarah MacLean for getting me through a marathon travel day yesterday (left the beach a little before 7 am and got home to Iowa around 11:30 pm).  J.B. and J. K. entertained me during my drives and MacLean kept me well occupied during the umpteen airport and airplane hours.  Also one exciting thing that happened on my trip home is that former U.S. President  and Nobel Peace Prize Winner Jimmy Carter was on one of my flights!  He went through the whole plane and shook everyone's hand which had me literally trembling with excitement.  He's one of my all time heroes and would easily have made a list of top five living people I'd like to meet.  I wish I could have interacted with him a bit more.  I did totally gush at him like a dork about how he was a hero of mine but he was in a hand-shaking zone so, perhaps thankfully, didn't really take notice, lol.  He is a truly good human being (as good as we can get) who has used his success to try and make a difference for human rights around the world.  He has always followed that which he felt was the right path regardless of the politics, which hampered him as President, but for me has made him much more admirable.  It was such an honor to meet him even if superficially.

WATCHING, READING, and BLOGGING

This section is going to be all higgledy piggledy but short. It's been too long since the last time I posted and I'm not quite sorted out yet after being out of touch.  I've read, I've watched, I haven't blogged.  I did catch a couple of movies on DVD this week at the beach that were notable.  Maggie (2015) featuring Arnold Schwarzenegger actually turning in a quiet and rather nuanced performance.  It's a dark slow moving film but I liked it.  Kingsman: The Secret Service (2015) which I had not even heard of because apparently I live under a rock and am woefully behind on my Wittertainment.  This movie was completely wackadoodle but so much fun.

I hope to get back on the blogging track this week but I'm not making any promises.  I have so many flipping books to babble on about (aka review) it's not even funny.  Next weekend should perhaps be devoted to getting my babbling in order.

That's all for now.  It's bittersweet being back home but mostly I'm glad.  Hope you all have a had a fantabulous week!

If you've got a minute, I'd love to hear about some of your heroes!  Who would you be super psyched to share a plane with?


It is good to realize that if love and peace can prevail on earth, and if we can teach our children to honor nature's gifts, the joys and beauties of the outdoors will be here forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment