Saturday, December 27, 2014

Saturdays in the Garden - Happy Holidays and Sunshine

OUTSIDE

To anyone who celebrated a holiday this week,  I hope it was peaceful and fun. The picture to the left there may not look terribly holiday related but it totally is because that is the sky on Christmas day.  BLUE sky.  It was a gen -u -wine Christmas miracle.  It's felt a little bit around here like being in that Ray Bradbury short story, "All Summer in a Day" when the sun is only visible for one hour every seven years.  Even Rudy was a little dazed and confused by the sun's appearance.
What is this brightness mom? Is it safe to go out in?
I was glad to be able to take advantage and go for a peaceful walk in the woods with the dogs.



LIFE

Last week I asked for some advice on new TV shows to get addicted to.  Elizabeth from So Long and Thanks for All the Fish reminded me of her love of K Dramas (Korean television).  I remembered resolving after reading her post about K Dramas (linked to above) back in April, that I would check them out some time as they sounded right up my alley.  So with her prompting last week, I tracked down her number one recommendation Coffee Prince on Hulu for free.  A few days later and I'm wondering what hit me.  I'm on episode 10 and it is seriously addicting- I find myself blinking blearily at one in the morning, voice hoarse after screaming at the laptop "Just please please please tell him you're a girl already!"  Because in fact this show employs one of my favorite tropes - girls that pretend to be male for some reason (ala Mulan, Twelfth Night, Alanna).  Some of the other things I am really enjoying is the naturalism of how the relationships are protrayed and acted, and how the lead actress just goes all in.  One thing I'm not loving is the subtitling - the translation seems sloppy and it is riddled with typos, and misused words etc....  It makes me wish I understood Korean.  Anyway, thanks to Elizabeth for the awesome recommendation!

BOOKS AND BLOGGING

Sadly, I think I can safely say that I'm not going to be able to finish my 2014 Eclectic Reader Challenge.  I think I will be able to finish Wild by Cheryl Strayed and the The Improbable Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (anthology edited by John Joseph Adams) by Thursday but there is no way I'm getting through Catch-22 of which I have read 3 chapters thus far. I will fall one book short:(.  I think my downfall was lack of adequate planning, particularly for those categories in which I don't usually read, hence why I am scrambling to finish a travelogue, an Anthology and a work of military/war fiction.   I plan on tackling this challenge again next year but with a better plan in place.  I'll do a full post later this week I hope.  Unrelated to the challenge I also hope to finish The Thousand Dollar Tan Line by Rob Thomas and Jennifer Graham before the end of 2014 because it's awesome.

Blogging was a little sketchy this week and I didn't even have the excuse of travel or anything. 

SUNDAY:  Sundays through the Stargate: SG1 Season 7 Times they are a-changing but this season has some of my favorite episodes.
TUESDAY:  Top Ten Tuesday:  Holiday gifts for my favorite literary characters of 2014.  This was a little bit of a twist on the books bloggers were hoping for from Santa.
FRIDAY: REVIEW: The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins  A Gothic mystery that was a fast paced page turner.

Next Week I plan to deluge the internets with blog posts, ha ha!  We'll see how that works out...

SUNDAY:  Sundays through the Stargate: SG1 Season 8.  I think this will be my penultimate post on SG1with a wrap up post the following Saturday.  There are two more seasons but I watched the first three eps of season 9 and am just not feeling it.  We'll see.
MONDAY:  REVIEW:  Sabriel by Garth Nix
TUESDAY: Top Ten Tuesday:  Goals and Resolutions for 2015.
WEDNESDAY: 2015 Eclectic Reader Challenge Sign Up hosted by Book'd Out
THURSDAY: 2015 Book Riot Read Harder Challenge Sign Up
FRIDAY:  2014 Year in Review

That's it for my week.  I hope everyone had a peaceful and joyful one and that you're looking forward to a 2015 of all good things.  Peace!



No comments:

Post a Comment