Wednesday, December 31, 2014

2015 Eclectic Reader Challenge

https://bookdout.wordpress.com/challenges/eclectic-reader-challenge-2015/I am signing up for the 2015 Eclectic Reader Challenge hosted by Book'd Out.  It's a challenge meant to push you out of your reading comfort zones and make sure you are experiencing all the diversity of books that are out there.  This year the Sport, Fiction for Foodies and Contemporary Romance categories have me worried but I'm actually pretty excited about the books I picked for those categories (mostly - I'm not entirely sure about the contemporary romance). 

I participated in 2014 and it was good fun but I'm going to end up falling just short of meeting those goals. I think my downfall was insufficient planning and I plan to fix that this year.  I am planning the dickens out of this thing.  I've got a spreadsheet and everything.  I am also trying to coordinate this so there is as much overlap as possible with other challenges I am doing.  Only the book I chose for Sport doesn't overlap with any other challenges.  Here are the categories and what I plan to read in each.  Some of them are maybe a stretch for their categories and I reserve the right to mix things up willy nilly at any time but for now, this is what I am going with.

Categories

1. A Retelling     
      Winter by Marissa Meyer
2. A Book Set in a Country Starting with the Letter S 
   The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson
3. PI Crime 
    Mr.Kiss and Tell by Rob Thomas and Jennifer Graham
4. A novel published before you were born 
    Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee by Dee Brown
5. Contemporary Romance 
     Kiss An Angel by Susan Elizabeth Phillips
6. Fiction for Foodies
    Charlie and The Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl
7. Microhistory 
    Gulp by Mary Roach
8. Sci-Fi set in Space 
   The Fall of Hyperion by Dan Simmons
9. Sports (Fiction or Non-fiction) 
   Open by Andre Agassi, J.R. Moehringer
10. Featuring Diversity 
    Fingersmith by Sarah Waters
11. Epistolary Fiction 
     Fair and Tender Ladies by Lee Smith
12. Middle Grade/YA Adventure 
     The Girl who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making by Cathrynne Valente
 

    No comments:

    Post a Comment