Saturday, October 18, 2014

Dewey's 24 Hour Read-a-Thon

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEgfxyGvvG65wvaLhHioRKuARbu_7kJVqdBRxelgukmzpwNgUJN9-rn6FAi23Y14wNe3oLMxSYPXFrVoMSm4XSvVol8lPmMXCsljeN5sAuixkWS_CshVkNwfLXwSzzup9aYyeR2B3XD6Rl2n/s1600/Dewey.jpg 


Well it's a lovely gray and chilly day here in Iowa so pretty much perfect for a Read-a-Thon!  I have a good plan for the day and you can see my stack of books anxiously waiting to be read in my sign up post.   I also scored big time and saw that Alyxandra Harvey's just released book was available at my library!  That one will definitely be devoured today.  She is a serious guilty pleasure.

I'll be checking in on this post every few hours or so and updating. Thus far I was late getting started after a poor night's sleep so not a great beginning but there are no real rules besides have fun. I think I will also keep an eye on the new Goodreads group and see what other things are going on with the other participants.   Now for some coffee and a start to the Little House in the Big Woods!

Man time flies!  It's already past 1:00 in the middle of the U.S. and I feel like the read-a-thon just started.  As such here is my Opening Meme in Hour 7:

1) What fine part of the world are you reading from today?
Smack dab in the middle of Iowa in the United States.
2) Which book in your stack are you most looking forward to?
This is a tough one.  I am excited to be reading the Little House on the Prairie series for the first time at the age of....old.  BUT I was pretty psyched that Alyxandra Harvey's new release was just sitting at the library waiting for a read-a-thon: Whisper the Dead. It even has a nice Halloweeny ring to it.
3) Which snack are you most looking forward to?
I have homemade chocolate chip cookies and Mac and Cheese - it's all comfort food all the time here. 
4) Tell us a little something about yourself!
Umm... I grew up in Virginia and never imagined that I would end up living in Iowa.  I'm not sure I could have even pointed it out on the map (it's the one with the boob right in the middle of the U.S.).  
A shirt from the very funny folks at Raygun: http://raygunsite.com/
Top of my list of ways I would not like to die is to be dinner for a predator particularly crocodiles or sharks.  Good thing I live in Iowa, eh?

5) If you participated in the last read-a-thon, what’s one thing you’ll do different today? If this is your first read-a-thon, what are you most looking forward to?
Last read-a-thon I found out that I am an exceptionally slow reader (I think I have trouble focusing maybe) and only got through one book despite many hours of reading.  I've picked some shorter and "easier" books to read this time around.

FIRST UPDATE - 1:30 pm (Hour 7)
I started an hour late at 8:00 am and began with a walk through the woods with the dogs and a non-fiction Audio book - Brain on Fire: My Month of Madness by Susannah Cahalan.  Nothing like a story about someone's journey into madness to get the day off to a great start.

I followed that up with and  just finished the first of the Little House Books:  Little House in the Big Woods by Laura Ingalls Wilder.  It basically covers a year in the life of the Ingalls family during the year Laura turns 6 years old.  It was lovely and simple and as a bonus gave me some tips for organizing my weeks:
"Wash on Monday
Iron on Tuesday
Mend on Wednesday
Churn on Thursday
Clean on Friday
Bake on Saturday
Rest on Sunday"
Time Spent Reading: 4.5 hours
Pages Read: 238
Audio Listened to: 1.25 hours
Books Finished:1
Little House in the Big Woods by Laura Ingalls Wilder

SECOND UPDATE - 4:00 pm (Hour 10)

Where is the day going!  I honestly am a little stunned its 4:00 already.  Since the last update, I goofed around online for a bit, ate some lunch and started a new book - Whisper the Dead by Alyxandra Harvey.  It's much fun thus far.

My butt is starting to get a little numb so after a little more goofing off on the web I think I will put in my ear phones and head outside for a little yard work.  It's gotten sunny here, stupid traitorous weather.  It's supposed to be unpleasant outside for all read-a-thons!

Time Spent Reading: 1.5 hours
Pages Read: 87
Audio Listened to: 0 Hours
Books Finished: 0

THIRD UPDATE - 6:45 pm (Hour 12 - Halfway!)
Time Spent Reading: 1.75 hours
Pages Read: 36
Audio Listened to: 1 hour 10  minutes
Books Finished: 0

Mid-Event Survey
1. What are you reading right now?
Whisper the Dead by Alyxandra Harvey and Brain of Fire by Susannah Cahalan
2. How many books have you read so far?
1 finished, 3 total read
3. What book are you most looking forward to for the second half of the Read-a-thon?
I hope to finish Whisper the Dead  - its a ton of fun!
4. Have you had many interruptions? How did you deal with those?
All interruptions have been self caused and haven't really had too many. 
5. What surprises you most about the Read-a-thon, so far?
How fast the day has gone!!

FOURTH UPDATE -  10:30 pm (Hour 16)

I think I did this last time too but I can't resist 'cause they are just so darned cute.  Here are my reading companions as of the 15 hour mark:

They are not doing a lot to encourage wakefulness but are good company nonetheless.  I've had dinner, a little booze, some coffee to counteract the booze and some more good reading.

Time Spent Reading: 2.5 hours
Pages Read: 123
Audio Listened to: 0
Currently Reading: Whisper the Dead by Alyxandra Harvey
Books Finished: 0

FIFTH (and final) UPDATE - 1:30 am (Hour 19)
I took a couple hours off to goof around on line and that got back down to business.  Though I really really want to finish the book I'm reading I have hit that wall.  The wall beyond which no more comprehension happens.  So blech.  I am once again only going to finish one book but it is what it is.  I did up my page count a little.

Time Spent Reading: 1.5 hours
Pages Read: 82
Audio Listened to: 0
Currently Reading: Whisper the Dead by Alyxandra Harvey
Books Finished:0

It's been a lovely night of reading.  Good night all!

TOTALS

Time Spent Reading: 11 hours 45 Minutes

Pages Read: 566

Listening Time: 2 hours 25 minutes

Books Finished:1

Books Read but Not Finished: 2


No comments:

Post a Comment