Saturday, April 26, 2014

The Readathon is On!

Hour Nineteen Update (2am)

I think this will be my final update of the readathon.   It has been much fun but the punchiness is taking over and I do need to meet some folks for brunch tomorrow morning.  I'm off to bed, feeling pleased with the day. Thanks to the organizers!  Night All!

Currently reading: Enchanted, Inc. by Shanna Swendsen
Books finished: 1
            The Beekeepers Apprentice by Laurie R. King
Pages read: 73 pages
Running total of pages read: 481 + 2 hours and 55 minutes of audio (not sure how to translate that into pages)
Amount of time spent reading: 1 hour, 30 minutes
Running total of time spent reading: 14.5 hours

Hour Seventeen Update (Midnight!)

I'm fading fast now but think I have a little more reading time in me.  I've started a fun little paranormal romantic comedy on my e-reader.

Currently reading: Enchanted, Inc. by Shanna Swendsen
Books finished: 1
            The Beekeepers Apprentice by Laurie R. King
Pages read: 58 pages
Running total of pages read: 408
Amount of time spent reading: 1 hour, 30 minutes
Running total of time spent reading: 13 hours

Hour Fifteen Update (10pm)

I finally finished a book!  The Beekeeper's Apprentice was really excellent and I could've continued reading it a while longer.  I am starting to feel a little fatigued but I'll keep at it as long as possible.

Currently reading: Fables, Vol 17 - Inherit the Wind by Bill Willingham and Enchanted, Inc. by Shanna Swendsen
Books finished: 1
            The Beekeepers Apprentice by Laurie R. King
Pages read: 100 pages
Running total of pages read: 350
Amount of time spent reading: 2 hour, 15 minutes
Running total of time spent reading: 11.5 hours

These guys are not being motivating in the staying awake department:




Hour Twelve Update (7pm)

Halfway Mark!  In the last couple I took some breaks to check out other blogs (one of the highlights of the readathon thus far) and snuck in ten minutes of audiobook listening while getting dinner ready for me (pot roast from the crock pot) and all the animals.  My next update may be a little bit longer interval as I need to go out for a while but I'll be back!  Still loving and not tired of The Beekeeper's Apprentice.

Currently reading: The Beekeeper's Apprentice by Laurie R. King and The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N.K. Jemisin
Books finished: 0
Pages read: 50 pages, 10 minutes of listening
Running total of pages read: 250
Amount of time spent reading: 1 hour, 15 minutes
Running total of time spent reading: 9.25 hours

1. What are you reading right now?
The Beekeeper's Apprentice (print) and The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms (audio). 
2. How many books have you read so far?
Just been working on those two.  This has really impressed upon me what a slow reader I am! I am enjoying both and not tired of them but it sure would be nice to say I had finished something!
3. What book are you most looking forward to for the second half of the Read-a-thon?
I've got some Fables graphic novels by Bill Willingham waiting in the wings!
4. Did you have to make any special arrangements to free up your whole day?
Nope.  The timing was perfect with the start of vacation and all.
5. Have you had many interruptions? How did you deal with those?
Not really.  It's been a smooth and great day!
6. What surprises you most about the Read-a-thon, so far?
How fast the time is flying!
7. Do you have any suggestions for how to improve the Read-a-thon next year?
I think it is organized SO well!  Don't really have any suggestions.
8. What would you do differently, as a Reader or a Cheerleader, if you were to do this again next year?
I think if I can participate next time I'll take on some other duties like cheerleading.  Didn't want to do that this first time as I wasn't sure what to expect.
9. Are you getting tired yet?
Nope
10. Do you have any tips for other Readers or Cheerleaders, something you think is working well for you that others may not have discovered?
Not sure if it's "new" but switching between audio and print is working really well.  The audio lets me continue reading while letting me get up and move around and get some things accomplished.  It also means I've had two books going all day which has helped keep both fresh.

Hour Ten Update (5pm)

This day has flown by!  I can't believe it is 5 pm.  In the last couple hours I have taken the dogs for another walk as well as doing some general sitting and reading.

Currently reading: The Beekeeper's Apprentice by Laurie R. King and The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N.K. Jemisin
Books finished: 0
Pages read: 40 pages, 30 minutes of listening
Running total of pages read: 200
Amount of time spent reading: 1 hour, 30 minutes
Running total of time spent reading: 8 hours


Hour Eight Update (3pm)

I'm starting to see why people suggest shorter books.  I am not tired of The Beekeeper's Apprentice yet but it would instill a feeling of accomplishment if I could say I had finished something.... And it makes these updates pretty redundant! It doesn't help that I am also a really slow reader. Ah well...here goes.

Currently reading: The Beekeeper's Apprentice by Laurie R. King
Books finished: 0
Pages read: 55
Running total of pages read: 160
Amount of time spent reading: 1 hour, 30 minutes
Running total of time spent reading: 6.5 hours

Hour Six Update (1pm)

A quarter of the way and feeling grand!  Hour 5 was spent cleaning the house and listening to some more N.K. Jemisin and in hour 6 I got to gobble up some leftover chinese and a diet mountain dew getting sucked back in to The Beekeeper's Apprentice.  It's a really nice day outside so think I need to spend some time reading outside this afternoon.

Currently reading: The Beekeeper's Apprentice by Laurie R. King and The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N.K. Jemisin
Books finished: 0
Pages read: 34 pages read, 60 minutes listening
Running total of pages read: 105
Amount of time spent reading: 1 hour, 50 minutes
Running total of time spent reading: 5 hours

Hour Four Update (11am)

I spent the first part of hour three hopping about the internet so only about 30 minute of reading there but steady ever since curled up on the couch.  I think it's time to get up and move around a bit and switch back to my audio book.  Really enjoying The Beekeeper's Apprentice!

Currently reading: The Beekeeper's Apprentice by Laurie R. King
Books finished: 0
Pages read: 50 pages read
Running total of pages read: 71
Amount of time spent reading: 1 hour, 20 minutes
Running total of time spent reading: 3 hour, 20 minutes

 Hour Two Update (9am)

Hour one and half of hour two was spent walking the dogs at the park and doing some house work while listening to N.K. Jemisin's The Hundred Thousand Kingdom's which is all about treachery and magic.  I was about half way through it to begin with. Nice way to start the day?  With a little violence and treachery?

Currently reading: The Beekeeper's Apprentice by Laurie R. King
Books finished: 0
Pages read: 75 minutes of audio, 21 pages read
Running total of pages read: 21
Amount of time spent reading: 1 hour, 50 Minutes
Running total of time spent reading: 1 hour, 50 Minutes



 INTRODUCTION

 It's almost time here in the Midwest of the U.S. to start reading!  I think I will keep all my updates for the day in this one post and see how that goes. For the first hour 7-8 am I will be throwing on my headphones and spending some time in N.K. Jemisin's The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms while I take the dogs and myself for a walk!  

1) What fine part of the world are you reading from today?
The state of Iowa in the U.S.A.
2) Which book in your stack are you most looking forward to?
The Beekeeper's Apprentice by Laurie R. King
3) Which snack are you most looking forward to?
Bruegger's bagel and cream cheese
4) Tell us a little something about yourself!
I'm a wildlife biologist by day which keeps me pretty busy.  I am actually kicking off a much needed week off with the readathon!  Besides reading I also really love my dogs, Llamas, traveling, learning new things and gardening.  I've been blogging for a little over a year and enjoy that as well!
5) If you participated in the last read-a-thon, what’s one thing you’ll do different today? If this is your first read-a-thon, what are you most looking forward to?
 This is my first!  I'm just looking forward to putting everything else aside for a day and focusing on reading!



No comments:

Post a Comment