Friday, April 18, 2014

Library Haul in Preparation for Dewey's Read-A-Thon

My job has seriously been kicking my butt for about a month and semi-seriously beating me to a pulp for an additional two.  But Hark, there is light! In a week's time there is a slight break in the craziness and I have decided to take full advantage and skip out on work for a week to putter around the house and generally be lazy.  The best part is that it happens to coincide with Dewey's Read-A-Thon on April 26th!  I have really wanted to participate in this since I first heard about it last Fall but before I signed up this go round, I did think about it long and hard. I was cautious because it's a 24 hour read-a-thon and I like sleep y'all.  A lot.  However, I also like to read.  The idea of giving myself an excuse and reason to just ignore everything else and read for a day is too good an opportunity to pass up.

With the goal of keeping myself engaged with reading for the full 24 hours, I've starting amassing a big old pile of books that are various and hopefully engaging.  Here's what I picked up at the library this past weekend:
From Library:
Siege and Storm by Leigh Bardugo (Fantasy, YA)
Fortune's Pawn by Rachel Bach (Science Fiction)
The Beekeeper's Apprentice by Laurie R. King (Mystery)
One Good Turn by Kate Atkinson (Mystery)
On my e-reader:
The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro (Literary Historical Fiction)
Enchanted, Inc. by Shanna Swendson (Goofy Paranormal Romance)
The Two Princesses of Bamarre by Gail Carson Levine (Middle Grade Fiction)
On Audio:
Factotum by D.M. Cornish (Middle Grade Fantasy)

The idea is not to read and complete all of these in the 24 hours (but wouldn't I be a superstar if I did!) but to have enough available that something will strike my fancy regardless of my reading mood or how tired I become.  I think it's a pretty good list to choose from.  All of them sound exciting and fantastic to me at this moment. I would like to add in another audio possibility or two and a couple of really engaging and not too heavy Graphic Novels.  Any suggestions?

So now I just need to get through one more week....

Anybody else out there participating in the Read-a-Thon?  What have you got lined up to read?  Have you participated in a Read-a-Thon before?  Any advice?

No comments:

Post a Comment