Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme for bloggers who like books and lists. It's awesome and is graciously hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.
This week's Top Ten Tuesday topic is an exercise in imagining a perfect bookish world? The folks at The Broke and Bookish have gifted us with a genie...A beautiful bookish genie!
10 Wishes I'd Ask The Book Genie To Grant Me (a new book from a certain author, a reading superpower, a library that is your absolutely #librarygoals, a character to come to life, to met a certain author etc. etc.) YOU DREAM IT AND THE BOOKISH GENIE CAN DO IT.
o - O - o
1) I Wish...That authors would never die young.Obviously I would wish this for every living creature but since this is only a bookish genie I will focus on authors. The two that immediately come to mind: Jane Austen which I suspect needs little explanation, I would love a few more Austen novels; and Kate Ross who was the author of a historical mystery series set in Regency era England which is one of my favorites. I would have loved to see where this book series would have gone.
2) I Wish...That I could read more books.It's the heartbreak of all readers....we'll never get to all the books we wish to read before our reading days are over. How awesome would it be to fix this unfortunate situation! This wish could come in many forms, any of which would be satisfactory: I could be transformed into a faster reader, more hours could be added to each day, or I could be become fabulously wealthy so I wouldn't have to spend a pesky 40-60 hours of the week working.
3) I Wish...To travel back in time to solve the Shakespeare mystery.There is some uncertainty about whether all the plays attributed to William Shakespeare were really written by one man of that name. I'd love to go back and see once and for all who wrote the plays (My bet and wish would be that it was all W.S. himself), maybe catch a performance at the globe theater and maybe even have a short meet and greet with Queen Elizabeth I.
4) I Wish...That there was a really fantastic media tie-in book series for all my favorite TV shows.I really enjoy books series that enhance or continue a TV show. Most recently I've enjoyed a number of the Doctor Who books and the two Veronica Mars mysteries. My number one wish for books that don't exist (or exist in a less than satisfactory way): a series that continued Stargate SG-1 or The X-Files.
5) I Wish...That George R.R. Martin would finish A Song of Ice and Fire within the next six monthsA tired wish to be sure but seriously. Please. I've been reading these books since they came out in the mid-90s and I would love to see the saga finished with the web of plots resolved. Perhaps the most fantastical wish on the list....
6) I Wish...That all the series which fizzled out or became horrible after the first few brilliant books...ummm...didn't.Sorry that is so very awkwardly worded. Do you know what I mean though? You start a series and love the first 2-3 books and then book 4 isn't quite as good and then book 5 makes you weep quietly because it is such a disaster. The one that comes to mind immediately is Laurell K. Hamilton's Anita Blake series which was fantastic for the first 4-5 books and then became completely unreadable for me.
7) I Wish...That the book I picked up at any given moment was the exact right book for my mood.I am an incurable mood reader and I hate picking up a book I am excited about and which I can recognize as a book I should be enjoying but am just feeling so not in the mood for it. Grrrrr.... I hate setting a book aside to come back to it later. But I hate also feeling meh about a book that at some other time I would have loved. IT'S A DILEMMA! That the genie could fix!
8) I Wish...That the world of Harry Potter was real and I was a witch.Because...I mean...of COURSE I do. If I was going to wish any bookish thing was real it was going to be Hogwarts and Albus Dumbledore.
9) I Wish...That my holds at the library would not all become available at the same time.Okay, sure, I could learn to exercise some self-restraint and not place holds on 10 books at a time but it would be much easier if the genie just fixed this for me. It would also help if wish #2 was also granted.
10) I Wish...That I knew of more good books featuring genies.I find genies or Djinn and the culture they are a product of quite fascinating and I don't read enough books featuring them. I'd really like to delve into more books with genies particularly if something unique and interesting is done with them. Any Suggestions?
o - O - o
Well that was fun! Indulging one's wishes is always a blast. What would be your #1 wish? How about your most ridiculous wish? Let me know!