Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday - Favorite New-To-Me Authors of 2014

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme for bloggers who like books and lists.  It's awesome and is graciously hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

Without Further Ado in alphabetical order (links to Goodreads author pages)...


1) Ben Aaronovitch

Aaronovitch has written a marvelous Urban-Fantasy-Mystery-Crime Procedural series which was part of the intervention that convinced me that Urban Fantasy and I can actually get on just fine together. 

2) Robert Jackson Bennet

I Loved Loved Loved City of Stairs and was happy to discover it wasn't a debut novel! He's actually got a tidy little back list of Mystery/Thriller/Horror novels.  Sweet!


3) Truman Capote

While thoroughly creeping me out, In Cold Blood convinced me that Truman Capote is a unique writer and that I'd like to check out some of his straight up fiction.  Perhaps Breakfast at Tiffany's?  Or does anyone else have another recommendation?

4) D.M. Cornish

An Australian writer and illustrator with a vivid imagination and vision.  His middle-grade fantasy series Monster Blood Tattoo was a little uneven but overall really enthralling and I loved it.

5) Laurie R. King

This has kind of been a Holmesian year for me as I also read Lyndsay Faye's Dust and Shadow (Holmes investigates Jack the Ripper), started Nancy Springer's Enola Holmes series and am currently reading a Holmes tribute Anthology.  However, The Beekeeper's Apprentice was definitely my favorite Holmes related novel!

6) Marissa Meyer

Yup I'm officially a Lunartic.  Sigh.....

7) Erin Morgenstern 

Late to the parade but absolutely fell head over heals for The Night Circus.  Can't wait to see what magic comes out of her pen next.  No pressure or anything...

8) Kathleen Dean Moore

A nature writer I've been meaning to read forever and ever and finally did.  It was awesome. 

9) Lydia Netzer

I've just finished How to Tell Toledo From The Night Sky and haven't even reviewed it but...Spoiler Alert...I really liked it.  Definitely want to go back and read her debut Shine,Shine,Shine.


10) Tamora Pierce

Another author that I have just finished reading for the first time.  I've read the first two books in the Song of Lioness series and think I plan on having many further adventures with Tamora.


Honorable Mention: Cheryl Strayed.  I really liked Tiny Beautiful Things and am getting ready to read her memoir Wild but irrationally, I have no desire to read her fiction. 

Award for The Author I Read for the First Time That Most People Would be Aghast I Didn't Include:  Brandon Sanderson

That's it for me.  What were some of your favorite New-To-You authors from this year?

No comments:

Post a Comment