Saturday, November 15, 2014

Saturdays in the Garden - The Lazy Garden makes its Debut


OUTSIDE

Well, the white stuff. It has come. It has brought with it the bone-clenching winds and cold.  I'm not complaining (yet) because it was just a dusting while folks up north got buried. It also had the courtesy to fall on Tuesday which was a federal holiday in the U.S. so I had the day off.  I like snow and cold when I don't have to go anywhere - it makes the house feel cozy. I adore hibernating.  I probably should have been a bear.

To be honest I haven't been thinking too much about the garden this week.   It's the lull between the doing and the planning.  And I am a pretty lazy gardener.  That should be what the gardening corner of my blog should be called - the lazy garden.  I used to have a dream that one day I would own 10-15 acres, have a huge garden, an orchard, a milk cow and/or goat or two, a llama and some chickens plus a larger passel of dogs.  And maybe some rabbits.  Perhaps a hedgehog.  Anyway, In the last couple years I've taken a good hard look at myself and realized that that up there? Crazy talk.  I've revised my plans to 2-3 acres near or in town.  The passel of dogs stay and the chickens but all the other animals are likely not feasible and the garden will be scaled back.  I still want a couple fruit trees and definitely a larger garden than I have now but not too much bigger.  Its nice getting to know ones self:0).

LIFE

Still doing the real food thing though my first week of putting together my own weekly meal plan was kind of  a disaster. And my kitchen is constantly dirty.  That's what cooking does - makes your kitchen dirty.  Who knew?  Anyway, does anybody have any brilliant meal planning tips? On a  budget? I will try again this week and see if I can do better.

So I don't know if you've seen this but apparently multi-tasking kills your brain.  The take home message?  It makes you dumber.  I have been trying to do a better job at work parceling my day and trying to focus on one thing at a time and only dealing with e-mails and phone calls during a particular time of day etc....  It's not perfect but it is working well and I am being more productive though I haven't noticed much increased smarts or memory.  It's also a relatively low-key period at work and I wonder how my intentions will pan out once things get crazy again as they always do, damn them.  How about you all?  Do you feel like multi-tasking is making you dumber? If so, how do you combat it.

BOOKS AND THE BLOG

My reading has been sporadic and weird this week.  I have finished nothing and dabbled in much. Two new things I've started since last week:  The Selfish Gene by Richard Dawkins which is not what I was expecting exactly and How to Tell Toledo from the Night Sky by Lydia Netzer which can best be described as quirky.

Last week on the blog:

SUNDAY:  Sundays through the Stargate  - Stargate SG1 Season 1 this is the second in a series of Sunday posts about one of my favorite sci fi shows.
TUESDAY: Top Ten Tuesday - Secondary Characters that Deserve their own Book. This was a fun one!
THURSDAY: Review of Tiny Beautiful Things by Cheryl Strayed  - Not your average advice/self help book.  Strayed has a unique voice.

Next week on the blog:
SUNDAY: A post about Season 2 of Stargate SG1
TUESDAY:  The Top Ten Tuesday topic this week is the Top Ten Sequels I Want to Get. 
THURSDAY:  Review of At Home: A short history of private life by Bill Bryson.

So, what have y'all been reading?  Anything really floating your boat especially?

Source
I have come to regard November as the older, harder man's October. I appreciate the early darkness and cooler temperatures. It puts my mind in a different place than October. It is a month for a quieter, slightly more subdued celebration of summer's death as winter tightens its grip.

No comments:

Post a Comment