Tuesday, October 28, 2014

TOP TEN TUESDAY - Top Books or Movies for getting into the Halloween Spirit

 

As I started putting this list together, I realized that I really don't read or enjoy books in the "horror" genre and I'm not really sure why.  I like horror movies and haunted houses quite a bit and have been fascinated with vampires since I was a child.  Maybe it's because books are longer and more detailed?  Who knows.  This is why I love TTT - it's all about self discovery, ha ha!  Anyway this list will be a hodge-podge of books, tv shows and movies that produce halloweeny feelings for me.  

BOOKS


1) Turn of the Screw by Henry James:  It's been a long time since I read this short novella but I definitely remember that it gave me the shivers and threw me into a Henry James frenzy for a short time.  It is thrillingly Gothic and features creepy children which never fail to frighten. 
2) Assorted stories by Edgar Allen Poe (The Telltale Heart, The Fall of the House of Usher, The Raven etc...):  Again most of Edgar Allen Poe's creepiest, most atmospheric tales are short which is apparently the way I like them.  He's very talented at creating creeping dread - I am sure his mother was very proud of this talent. 
3) Dracula by Bram Stoker:  As I mentioned, vampires have always been my monster of choice and I read and loved this book as a teenager.  I even acted in a play of the book in college. 


TELEVISION
A couple of my favorite TV shows are perfect watching to get geared up for Halloween.

4) Supernatural: Each week is like a little mini horror movie featuring the fierce and rather handsome Winchester brothers as Hunters of supernatural phenomena.  At ten seasons or so long they've really been able to play with all kinds of horror tropes.  I also think that while I love the show, Jensen Ackles is a much better actor then it deserves. 
5) Buffy the Vampire Slayer:  One of my favorite shows of all time!  Every season (I think)they had some kind of Halloween episode that was usually pretty brilliant.
6)It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown: I grew up watching Charlie Brown specials so this one kind of encapsulates Halloween for me.

MOVIES

7) Poltergeist:  I watched this movie at least 400 times in my youth. It's kind of perfect.
8) A Nightmare on Elm Street: Of the horror movie "franchises" this was my favorite.  It scared me deliciously in my teenage years while also inducing swooniness over Johnny Depp.
9) The Monster Squad: I adored this movie as a kid  - it's campy and brilliant and features all the Halloween bad guys!
10) The Nightmare Before Christmas: Is there anyone better at evoking the Halloween spirit then Tim Burton?  This and the next movie on the list are both his and they are on here for good reason!
11) Sleepy Hollow:  This is Johnny Depp's second appearance on the list and come to think of it I could also put Edward Scissorhands on here... which would also mean more Tim Burton. The Legend of Sleepy Hollow in all forms pretty much embodies Halloween for me! 

As for characters I would like to "be" for Halloween, I think my post from last week on fictional women that inspire me kind of covers it!  So what's on your Halloween read/watch list?

Happy Halloween!!

No comments:

Post a Comment