Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday - Summer Reads


The topic this week provided by The Broke and the Bookish is actually titled more like top ten books to take to the beach.  Since I live smack dab in the middle of the country, as far as possible from any ocean and because I LOVE the ocean so much and am really upset that I will be getting nowhere near it, I decided to avoid the beach word in deference to my fragile emotions about the topic. I'm not bitter.  I'm Not! (I totally am.) What follows are some books that I would like to pick up this summer.  As I've mentioned before, I'm truly horrible at planning my reading so to help ensure that I do actually make some progress on this list, the first four are ARCs that I'm under (awesome) obligation to read before the summer is gone. 



1) Half a King by Joe Abercrombie


A new book by Joe Abercrombie! A new book by Joe Abercrombie!  This book publishes on July 15th and I'm pretty excited to have an ARC from Net Galley.   It's the story of a prince whose throne has been taken and he must fight, against all odds, with a band of outcasts to win it back.  The story doesn't sound all that original but you bet Joe Abercrombie's take on it will be fantastic.


2) Alias Hook by Lisa Jensen

One of my reading kryptonites is a favorite story re-told from the misunderstood antagonist's perspective. This book tells the story of Peter Pan from Captain Hooks perspective.  It publishes on July 8th.  I just starting reading it and at about 15% in I am really "hooked" (hardy, har har).


3) The Blackhouse by Peter May 

What better summer reading then reading about loneliness and isolation! This is a crime-murder-mystery that takes place on the northern most island of the Outer Hebrides off the coast of Scotland.  Publication date is August 5th.


4) City of Stairs by Robert Jackson Bennett

Dead Gods...or are they?  A secret lady spy/detective?  This sounds like a pretty awesome mash-up of fantasy and mystery and I'm totally on board.  Publication date listed as September 9th.



5) Percy Jackson and the Olympians series by Rick Riordan
 I love Greek Mythology and don't know why I haven't read these books yet.  I recently heard them talked up on the Bookrageous podcast and decided they'd make some good audio to take along on road trips for work this summer. 

For the rest of the list I'm going back to my other seasonal lists to pick up some of the books I did not get to.  All of these are also on my 100 Books Project list.


6. Wild Comfort: the Solace of Nature by Kathleen Dean Moore

I do still really want to get to this collection of essays which I originally put on my Spring TBR.  It probably would have been a better spring read but whatever.  Summer it is! 



7. The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro
I have really been hankering to read this one and even got it out of the library at one point.  Then the things happened and it didn't get read.


8 and 9. The Pursuit of Love and Love in a Cold Climate by Nancy Mitford

  Goodreads says about these books:

"...satirize British aristocracy in the twenties and thirties through the amorous adventures of the Radletts, an exuberantly unconventional family..."
WANT TO READ!  And they actually sound like potentially good summer reads despite that whole Cold Climate in the title.

 10.  Sabriel by Garth Nix
This has been on every TBR list I've made since the beginning of (blogging) time.  At some point the shame will kick in.

What are your fun summer plans and what books do you most want to take along?  

Now pardon me while I go print this out and tattoo it on my forehead so I actually remember to read these books!

No comments:

Post a Comment