Tuesday, April 29, 2014

TOP TEN TUESDAY - Media Mixing Madness

 
This weeks TTT topic from The Broke and the Bookish is to list the Top Ten Books If You Like X tv show/movie/comic/play etc. (basically any sort of other entertainment).  I LOVE the topic this week even though my list is going to be seriously lame-o.  I can't seem to cross the media divide.  There are a ton of TV shows that I love but I've never really been able to hit on good book substitutes.  I can do a little bit better at comparing books to books but for some reason if it's in a different media I'm stumped.  The reason I'm excited about this topic is that I can't wait to see other people's lists!

Here's my best try at a list.  Some of them, quite frankly, are cheats.

Oh!  I should also mention that I think what was intended was for me to pick one show/movie etc... and list out ten books that are complementary but that's not gonna happen.  I'm lucky if I can come up with one idea per show!



1. If you liked Gormenghast then you might enjoy D.M. Cornish's Monster Blood Tattoo series.


This is one of my cheats because Gormenghast the TV mini-series is based on a trilogy of books.  But I haven't read those books so that's something.  D.M. Cornish's series is a similarly dark, strange and rich setting but for a younger audience.



2. If you like The James Bond Movies (and you're 14 years old) you may enjoy The Alex Rider Series by Anthony Horowitz.

Again, it's movies based on books.  But I've never read any of the books so I'm going with it.  The Alex Rider series is very much a James Bond-esque series of books featuring a 14 year old protagonist.

3. If you liked the TV show House you may enjoy When Beauty Tamed the Beast by Eloisa James


Ever wonder what a 19th century Gregory House might be like? You need wonder no longer.


4. If you like Game of Thrones then you may enjoy The First Law series by Joe Abercrombie (Book 1, Book 2, and Book 3)


This one is a big cheat because I have also read the source books.  But it's worth it to bring up Joe Abercrombie's awesome First Law Series. Complex characters who straddle the line between good and evil? Check! Unpredictable twists? Check! Political machinations that make your head spin? Check! Dark, rich and gritty plots? Check!

5. If you like Doctor Who then you may enjoy Jasper Fforde or Douglas Adams


Both Fforde and Adams have a similar absurdist and often clever humor and can also convey the same manic nature as the show. 


6. If you like Star Wars then you may enjoy The Vorkosigan Saga by Lois McMaster Bujold

This is a bit of a stretch but they are both Space Operas extraordonaire! The Vorkosigan Saga is well written Science Fiction which focuses more on it's characters, relationships and adventurous plots then on the  technology.

7. If you liked Oceans 11 you may enjoy The Gentleman Bastards series by Scott Lynch

Loveable rogues pulling elaborate heists.  Both of the above have them.  The only difference is that Scott Lynch's books take place in a slightly fantastical, rennaissance-esque type setting. Okay there are more differences than that but that's the big one.

8. If you like Star Trek then you may enjoy Red Shirts by John Scalzi


This comparison is embarrassing because it's so blatantly obvious.  Scalzi purposely set out to satirize Star Trek. I've just realized that I don't read enough comedic science fiction.

9. If you like Downton Abbey then you may enjoy The Children's Book by A.S. Byatt


I don't think I need to link to Downton Abbey as it has practically caused mass hysteria.  Byatt's The Children's Book may work for fans of the show because it takes place during the same era and is essentially a family drama focused on two generations of a well to do family in Victorian and then Edwardian Britain. 

Well I think that's all I got in me!  I can't wait to explore other folks lists!  I would particularly like to find a book or preferably a series of books for fans of any Joss Whedon show but especially Firefly and The X-files.  Please? Anybody?

No comments:

Post a Comment