Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday - Winter To Be Read List

 


 Tuesday already?!  Where does the time fly?  This week's Top Ten Tuesday, hosted by The Broke and the Bookish, is the top ten books on my winter TBR.  As I've mentioned before I'm not much of a planner with my reading so these projecting into the future lists are not easy but they are a good exercise.  So here goes:


1) The Stand by Stephen King

This book has been plaguing (look I made a pun:) me for over a year now.  I got to page nine hundred and something earlier this year before losing steam.  I WILL finish it this winter, dang it! Only 400 pages to go!

 2) A Barbara Pym book

I haven't settled on which one yet. Perhaps No Fond Return of Love, or Some Tame Gazelle.  I ended last year curled up on the couch with her lovely, quiet and funny Excellent Women and it sounds like a good way to end this year as well.

3) Sabriel by Garth Nix

 I hear a new addition to this series is due out next year and it's high time I get started with book one.  I've read some short stories by Nix as well as his middle-grade series The Keys to the Kingdom and I love his writing style and creativity.

4) The Disappearing Spoon: And Other True Tales of Madness, Love and the History of the World from the Periodic Table of Elements by Sam Kean

My inner (and let's be honest outer) science nerd has had this book on my TBR for a good while and it's sitting on my Kindle taunting me.  It will make a nice non-fiction winter read.

5) The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey

This was the big read of last winter that I think would make a good winter read this year.  Possible fake children appearing out of the Alaska wilderness sounds awesome.

6) Siege and Storm by Leigh Bardugo (Grisha #2)

I love the first book in this young adult series about an imaginative and magical Eastern Europe-like world.  2013 was a year of exploring young adult fiction and this was one of the books that I loved pretty unequivocally.

7) Glamour in Glass by Mary Robinette Kowal (Glamourist Histories #2)

Winter encourages hibernation and curling up with comfort reads.  I didn't love the first book in this series about Regency era magicians but it was good fun.

8 and 9) The Pursuit of Love and Love in Cold Climate by Nancy Mitford

These look lovely and British and funny and bonkers.  Sign me up! Also on my 100 Books Reading Challenge.

10) The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon

From everything I've heard and read this looks like a profoundly satisfying and engrossing book that I can get sucked into during the more chaotic bits of the winter. 

I think that's it for me!  What are you hoping to read this winter?

4 comments:

  1. You will be unsurprised that my reaction to Sabriel is YES YES YES YES YES ASAP!!!! But I would also second your choice to read The Shadow of the Wind becuase it was so beautifully written and it's magical and mystery and I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely played a part in moving Sabriel up the read list!

      Delete
  2. I tried to read that Garth Nix series. And couldn't get into it. Let me know if you have better luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will, definitely! I do hope I get into because I am an admirer of his in general...

      Delete