Saturday, August 26, 2017

Saturday in the Garden | Squirrels in the Attic

Night Time
I like to garden and generally putter around in my yard and my Saturday in the Garden posts serve as my pseudo- garden journal, plus round-up of my week in reading, watching and blogging.  Occasionally, I'll whine, rant or gush about something in a GAK section. 

OUTSIDE

I apparently have a squirrel (or two) living in my attic.  My neighbor had to inform me of this because SHE STUDIES MY HOUSE (but that's another story) and saw them going in.  I haven't confirmed yet - my attic space is not easily accessible - but it does not surprise me.  I like wildlife and encourage their presence but squirrels and attics are likely not the best combo.   My plan is to live trap the squirrels and release outside and seal up the holes they are using to get in.  Timing will be key. Wish me and the squirrels luck!

While dealing with this situation isn't what you'd call fun, it does give me good perspective and empathy with people who call my work with some kind of a wildlife damage complaint or issue.  I can feel their pain but will still always counsel for trying to live as peacefully with the natural world as possible. This means taking a little trouble on ourselves to adjust our homes and landscapes to prevent or mitigate conflict rather than wanting to obliterate all living things in our immediate environs for daring to try to share "our"space. We're all just trying to get down the road of life and deserve the chance to travel it as we need.  

WATCHING, READING and BLOGGING

Watching 


Finished up Shetland. It's an atmospheric and pretty well done mystery series. It has made me desperately want to spend a month (or so) hiking and exploring Scotland.  Anybody wanna go?  

I also got back to and finished the last season of Father Brown.  

Reading 

FINISHED SINCE THE LAST TIME I POSTED

Nada.  I am reading, I promise!  I have a few too many books going right now so it's slowing me down.  
    CURRENTLY READING
    • The Exiled Queen (Seven Realms #2) by Cinda Chima Williams: The continuation of the story started in The Demon King!  
    • The Likeness by Tana French: The second in the Dublin Murder Squad mystery series. This one features Cassie from In the Woods in the lead role.
    • Spirit Animals: Hunted by Maggie Stiefvater: The second in this middle-grade series, each written by a different author.  
    • The Fatal Flame (Timothy Wilde #2) by Lyndsay Faye:  The last in a trilogy of historical mysteries set in mid-19th century New York.  
    • The Whispering Skull (Lockwood and Co. #2) by Jonathan Stroud: This is an awesome YA/middle-grade series about ghost hunters in Britain. 
    • Intuitive Eating by Tribole and Resch:  Non-fiction about eating psychology and biology.  I've been dipping in and out of it for the last few months!

    Added to the TBR:

    This is a list of books that I have added to my Goodreads TBR list this week.  It helps to burn the books I want to read a little more firmly into my mind, maybe get them on some other folks TBRs and gives me a chance to recognize a lot of the awesome bloggers that add stuff to my TBR!
    • Birdman (Jack Caffery #1) by Mo Hayder:  A Crime/Mystery/Thriller series starter that my Book bub subscription brought to my attention.
    • Think of a Number (Dave Gurney #1) by John Verdon:  Ditto the above but I think this one is set in the U.S. and not Britain. 

    On the BLOG since I last Posted:

    Nothing here either.  I was traveling last weekend and had a number of busy nights this week.


    HAPPY NATIONAL DOG DAY!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment