Monday, June 19, 2017

TOP TEN TUESDAY | The Post Where I am Shocked to Find Some Book Series of Which I am NOT in the Middle

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme for bloggers who like books and lists. It's awesome and is graciously hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.  


I've mentioned several times on the blog that I have a book series problem.  As primarily a genre reader, it's almost impossible to avoid.  There are SO MANY series which is awesome because they're awesome but when you are in the middle of 50+ at any given time that's just craziness.

This week for TTT The Broke and The Bookish women ask their legions to highlight the series they haven't gotten to. Yet.  I was surprised to find I had a few (i.e. several hundred).
Top Ten Series I've Been Meaning To Start But Haven't (topic originally done March 2013) -- anyone else have a mile long list of series to start like I do??

A lot of  the books I've highlighted on the blog recently are starter volumes for series that are newly released, so I decided to mix things up and look at some of the series starters that have been sitting on my TBR the longest.

******* 


A set of historical mysteries that take place during the reign of Elizabeth I of England.  This is a favorite time period in history for me and I love historical mysteries.  Looks like there are 15 total books thus far in the series.  The first volume is To Shield the Queen.

2) The Riyria Revelations by Michael J. Sullivan

My understanding is that this is Epic fantasy done right and it's been on my TBR way too long.  It has 3 volumes with the first being Theft of Swords

3) Linnet Ellery Series by Phillipa Bornikova

An Urban Fantasy series I'd completely forgotten about!  It's a reality where paranormal creatures are in charge of the major institutions of culture and the female protagonist is a lawyer trying to make a name in a "white fang" law firm.  I love the name of the first book; This Case is Gonna Kill Me.  AND the authors name is Philippa which is just cool. 

4)  His Fair Assassin Series by Robin LaFevers

A YA series about assassin nuns - need I say more? The first book in the series is Grave Mercy.  It looks like there are three extant volumes with two more planned?  Fun!


I have to admit I had completely forgotten this existed but I'm glad to have discovered it again by digging through my TBR!  The Goodreads blurb describes it thus: An unusual murder brings together three strangers, John, Jack, and Charles, on a rainy night in London during the First World War. An eccentric little man called Bert tells them that they are now the caretakers of The Imaginarium Geographica - an atlas of all the lands that have ever existed in myth and legend, fable and fairy tale. These lands, Bert claims, can be traveled to in his ship The Indigo Dragon, one of only seven vessels that is able to cross the Frontier between worlds into the Archipelago of Dreams.

6) The Heir Chronicles by Cinda Williams Chima

A YA series set in the modern day but with a hidden magical society of which the protagonist finds he is a part.  I LOVE these type of stories.  The first book is The Warrior Heir

7) The Icemark Chronicles by Stuart Hill

The Cry of The Icemark starts this YA epic fantasy series about a warrior princess and which sounds like it is inspired by Nordic culture.  It looks very cool!  And is another I'd completely forgotten about!  Like I'm pretty sure I've never seen this book before ever in my life.  Who is the meddlesome person who keeps adding these books secretly to my TBR??  Whoever you are, thank you, because they all look great;)!

8) Swallows and Amazons by Arthur Ransome

This is a classic of British children's literature that I'd like to check out! Takes place in the Lakes District. 

9) The Tide Lords by Jennifer Fallon

This has an epic fantasy look to it and involves a society with mysterious, god-like immortals.  The first book is The Immortal Prince

10) The Memoirs of Lady Trent by Marie Brennen

A well-known alt-history series with a strong female protagonist! The first book is A Natural History of Dragons.  The series is complete with 5 volumes. 

*******
That was a fun dig through the older, dustier parts of my TBR list!  Have you read any of these series?  Which would you recommend I get to first?

No comments:

Post a Comment